Air ingress into a furnace vessel

• Thread starter fluxfire71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Vessel
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential ways in which air could enter a furnace in the event of a pressure loss. These include diffusion, contraction of gases due to cooling, changes in barometric pressure, and the furnace "breathing." The possibility of calculating the mass flow of air into the furnace is also mentioned, with suggestions to use Fick's laws of diffusion and the furnace's mass and heat capacity to estimate the volume and mass of air pulled in.
fluxfire71
If a furnace at 500 Celcius and 500 bar was to lose pressure from a breach (pipe break) resulting inert gas escaping the furnace would loose pressure and reach equilibrium pressure with outside room pressure.

When equilibrium pressure is reached how would the outside air enter into the furnace. I'm struggling to understand the driving force for air to move into the furnace.

Finaly how would one calculate such a thing?

Regards

Flux

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air would enter by diffusion. Look up Fick's laws of diffusion.

Air would also enter if the furnace cooled down and the gas inside contracted.

Air would also enter via changes in barometric pressure and the furnace "breathing."

Likes fluxfire71
insightful said:
Air would enter by diffusion. Look up Fick's laws of diffusion.

Air would also enter if the furnace cooled down and the gas inside contracted.

Air would also enter via changes in barometric pressure and the furnace "breathing."

If there is a significant thermal gradient i don't think the mixture of gas and air will return through the furnace breach assuming the furnace heating element is still engaged.
The gas expansion into the room will take some of the furnace energy but not a significant in comparision to the the stored thermal energy. (Basically the furnace will be much hotter than the outside)

I the case where the heating element was to fail the furnace will cool if i know the cooling rate i.e. J/sec lost, how could i use this information to work out the mass flow of air into the furnace?

Much appreciated

Flux

fluxfire71 said:
I the case where the heating element was to fail the furnace will cool if i know the cooling rate i.e. J/sec lost, how could i use this information to work out the mass flow of air into the furnace?
Estimate the mass and heat capacity of the furnace to get the temperature drop, then use V1/V2 = T1/T2 with T in Kelvin to get the volume of air pulled in. Then use the density of ambient air (about 1.2 kg/m3) to get the mass of air pulled in.

1. What is air ingress into a furnace vessel?

Air ingress into a furnace vessel refers to the unintentional or unwanted introduction of ambient air into the furnace vessel during operation. This can happen through leaks, cracks, or improper sealing of the vessel.

2. What are the potential consequences of air ingress into a furnace vessel?

The consequences of air ingress into a furnace vessel can include decreased efficiency, increased energy consumption, and reduced product quality. It can also lead to equipment damage and safety hazards.

3. How does air ingress affect the combustion process in a furnace vessel?

Air ingress can disrupt the balance of air and fuel in the combustion process, leading to incomplete combustion and the generation of harmful byproducts such as carbon monoxide. It can also cause fluctuations in temperature and pressure, impacting the overall performance of the furnace.

4. What are some common methods for preventing air ingress into a furnace vessel?

Some common methods for preventing air ingress include regular maintenance and inspection of the vessel, proper sealing and insulation, and installation of air ingress detection systems. It is also crucial to address any leaks or cracks in the vessel promptly.

5. How can air ingress into a furnace vessel be detected and monitored?

Air ingress can be detected through regular inspection and monitoring of the furnace vessel, as well as through the use of air ingress detection systems. These systems can measure and track air flow and pressure differentials to identify any changes or irregularities that may indicate air ingress.