Compressed Air Engine Calculations

In summary: I would need to calculate the power required to maintain the top speed. I would need to calculate the power required to maintain the top speed.
karan_s
Hi,I am designing a compressed air engine for a project. A little stuck with calculations.

I need to work out how long the engine will run at its top speed using a air pressure which is supplied from a compressed air tank.Compressed air pushed down a piston which is connected to a camshaft. As the piston reaches bottom, a slot opens allowing the air in the chamber to escape and for the piston to come back up again.A second piston will eventually be added which helps the first piston come back up using the air that is released.

For now I am just doing calculations for the first piston.Weight of go kart including driver and tank: 200kg

Compressed air pressure pushing piston down: 8 bar

Max engine speed: 1500 RPM - 17 MPH max driving speed

Piston stroke: 60mm

Piston bore: 62mm

Crankshaft radius: 19mm

Weight of piston: 100g

Min acceleration to top speed: 6 secondsCould someone please explain how long this engine would run on a 500L tank of compressed air? This is assuming that the air is supplied at a constant pressure.

I have attempted it below but do not think its correct and am not sure what to to next.

1500 rpm = ω = 157 rad/s

α = ω/t , t being the time needed to reach the max rpm.

α = 157/6 = 26.16 rad/ sec^2

I = 1/2(200)(0.019)^2 = 0.361 Kgm^2

τ = I x α = 0.361*26.16 = 0.94437 Nm

τ = F x r
0.94437 = F x 0.019 So, F = 49.703NThanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

We'd need to know the pressure of the tank.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF.

We'd need to know the pressure of the tank.

I was going to have a tank with pressure 8 bar. But again am not sure if this is enough push the piston down. The tank pressure can be changed at this stage.

karan_s said:
I was going to have a tank with pressure 8 bar. But again am not sure if this is enough push the piston down. The tank pressure can be changed at this stage.
Well, now you have two problems:
1. You haven't established the supply pressure you need.
2. If the supply pressure is equal to the tank pressure, the instant you turn the machine on the torque starts to drop.

...Though I see your question doesn't match the math you did. To find the power required to maintain the top speed, I'd research real gokarts. It is a very difficult thing to calculate.

russ_watters said:
Well, now you have two problems:
1. You haven't established the supply pressure you need.
2. If the supply pressure is equal to the tank pressure, the instant you turn the machine on the torque starts to drop.

...Though I see your question doesn't match the math you did. To find the power required to maintain the top speed, I'd research real gokarts. It is a very difficult thing to calculate.

That makes sense.

I also did the calculation shown below to find the force. Was thinking I could get the required supply pressure from this and then choose a tank with appropriate pressure. Is this also incorrect?

f = 1500/60 = 25 Frequency in revolutions per second
w = f*2*pi = 157 Angular frequency in radians per second
x = 0.06 Stroke in meters
a = w^2*(x/2) = 739.47 Acceleration in meters per sec^2
M = 0.1 Mass of piston in kilograms
F = Ma = 73.947 Force in Newtons
g = 9.8 Acceleration due to gravity
P = F*g = 725.420 Equivalent Force

Well, you're probably right that the acceleration is more important to the pressure requirement than the top speed, so for that purpose that may be valid.

What is a compressed air engine?

A compressed air engine is a type of engine that uses compressed air as the source of power. It works by compressing air into a tank or cylinder and then releasing it to drive a piston or turbine, which in turn generates motion.

How do you calculate the power output of a compressed air engine?

The power output of a compressed air engine can be calculated by multiplying the air pressure (in psi) by the volume of air (in cubic feet) and dividing by the time it takes for the air to be released (in seconds). This equation is known as the Bernoulli's equation.

What factors affect the efficiency of a compressed air engine?

The efficiency of a compressed air engine can be affected by several factors, including the compression ratio, the temperature of the compressed air, the size and design of the engine, and the type of air compressor used to compress the air.

What is the ideal compression ratio for a compressed air engine?

The ideal compression ratio for a compressed air engine is typically between 10:1 and 15:1. This means that the air is compressed to a pressure that is 10 to 15 times higher than the atmospheric pressure. However, the optimal compression ratio may vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the engine.

How does a compressed air engine compare to other types of engines?

Compressed air engines have several advantages over other types of engines, such as being more environmentally friendly, producing zero emissions, and being quieter. However, they also have some limitations, such as lower power output and the need for a constant supply of compressed air.