Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure and Water pressure question

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this, I'm looking to create 130.5 PSI of Water pressure for 15-20 seconds. If I were to pressurize an air chamber what size/volume would be required to achieve the above? Or would it be better to directly pressurize a chamber with water?

Thanks for anyones thoughts or help.
    A

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You will have to tell us much more: what volume of water, what are you going to do with it, what flow rate at that pressure is required, what equipment do you have access to, how much variation in pressure during the 15-20 seconds you can accept, .....

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    Hi Nugatory,
    Thanks for such a quick response. I'm looking into a espresso extraction, so it would need to be a flow rate of 1.5-2 ounces in 15-25ish seconds and the variation pressure could be gradually lost in the end. I'm mainly looking into how small of a pressurized chamber I'd need to achieve these results in one shot, so no pump constantly increasing pressure.

I have a full metal shop at my school to mess around with, just the physics bit I am lacking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook