Air resistance of a high speed car

In summary, ignoring air resistance can lead to significant errors when dealing with cars traveling at high speeds. The force of air resistance is proportional to the speed squared, F_ar=-Av^2. In part A, the power required to maintain a constant speed against air resistance alone is proportional to the speed to the third power. In part B, if a car consumes 20hp at a constant speed of 30mph, it would need 8 times more power to maintain a constant speed of 60mph under the same conditions. The relation between power, force, and velocity is given by power = force x velocity. This can also be derived from the principles of work and energy.
tomrule007

Homework Statement

Ignoring air resistance is a large error when dealing with cars, especially when they are traveling at high speeds. Remember that air resistance depends on the speed squared F_ar=-Av^2.

A) draw a "FBD" for the car. show that the power required to keep a car going at a constant speed on a flat road against air resistance alone is proportional to the speed to the third power.

B)If your car consumes 20hp when traveling at a constant speed of 30mph. how much more power would it need to travel at a constant speed of 60mph under the same conditions?

Homework Equations

Not really sure what i should even start with for part A i used
Newtons second law and that's all i pretty much used so far

The Attempt at a Solution

A) For the free body diagram ill list the forces i included: Gravity(down), Normal force(up), Air resistance(left),Motor force=F(right)

so i can set F-F_ar=M*A (but it says the is traveling at a constant speed so i can just a=0 and then get

F=F_ar
So i think i did this part right but i don't know were to go from here to prove that the force is 3x the velocity

Any help would be appreciated -Thanks Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the relation between the power force and velocity?

after looking it up i found power = force x velocity (is this what your talking about ? it was never mentioned in my class)

Well another way to think about it from simpler principles is that work if force times distance, and power is the rate at which work is performed, so dividing by time=force times velocity.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force exerted by air on an object as it moves through it. It is caused by the collision of air particles with the surface of the object, creating a resistance to its motion.

2. How does air resistance affect the speed of a high speed car?

Air resistance increases as the speed of the car increases. This means that the faster the car moves, the greater the force of air resistance acting against it. As a result, the car will experience a decrease in speed and acceleration.

3. Can air resistance be reduced for a high speed car?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced for a high speed car through various methods. One way is by designing the car with a more aerodynamic shape, which allows for smoother airflow around the car. Additionally, using materials that are lightweight and have low drag coefficients can also help reduce air resistance.

4. What factors affect the air resistance of a high speed car?

The air resistance of a high speed car can be affected by several factors, such as the shape and size of the car, the speed at which it is travelling, and the density of the air. Other factors include the surface roughness of the car, the angle of the car relative to the direction of the wind, and the presence of any external objects or obstacles.

5. How does air resistance impact the fuel efficiency of a high speed car?

Besides slowing down the car, air resistance also requires the car's engine to work harder to maintain its speed. This results in an increase in fuel consumption and decreases the car's overall fuel efficiency. Therefore, reducing air resistance can also improve the car's fuel efficiency.