Air speed after it passes a tunnel

• Thread starter Alpha_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Speed
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with calculating airspeed at a certain area and mentions using Navier-Stokes equations for fluid flow near a boundary layer. They recommend "Elementary Fluid Dynamics" by D.J. Acheson for further guidance.
Alpha_42
Hey guys, i am new to this subject and need some help. The idea is that in area AxB there is a constant airspeed of for example 6 m/s. I would like a formula or another way I can calculate the airspeed at area ExB. I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Marc_Tunnel.jpg
If image is not visible it is on : "https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEctI_l9fr_QmRJQkZualBWWWs/view?usp=sharing"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot be certain what your exact problem is, but for fluid flow near a boundary layer, Navier-Stokes equations can be used. Some good worked examples and a far better description of how to apply the NS equation can be found in 'Elemetary Fluid Dynamics' by D.J. Acheson

1. What factors affect air speed after it passes through a tunnel?

The factors that affect air speed after passing through a tunnel include the size and shape of the tunnel, the velocity of the air entering the tunnel, and any obstructions or bends in the tunnel that may cause turbulence.

2. Does the air speed increase or decrease after passing through a tunnel?

The air speed typically decreases after passing through a tunnel due to the constriction and friction caused by the tunnel walls. However, in some cases, the air speed may increase if the tunnel has a funnel shape or if there is a strong wind blowing through the tunnel.

3. How does the density of the air affect its speed after passing through a tunnel?

The density of the air can affect its speed after passing through a tunnel. If the air is denser, it will experience more resistance and slow down as it passes through the tunnel. However, if the air is less dense, it may maintain its speed or even increase if there is a strong wind present.

4. Can the air speed vary at different points within the tunnel?

Yes, the air speed can vary at different points within the tunnel depending on the shape and size of the tunnel, as well as any obstructions or bends. In general, the air speed will be faster in the center of the tunnel and slower near the walls due to friction.

5. How can the air speed be measured after passing through a tunnel?

The air speed after passing through a tunnel can be measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed. Alternatively, the air speed can also be calculated based on the size and shape of the tunnel, along with the velocity of the air entering the tunnel.