Alcubierre Drive vs the Hubble Constant

In summary, the Alcubierre drive is a theoretical concept that involves creating a bubble of space-time that allows for faster-than-light travel. However, there are potential issues with the drive, such as the possibility of being flung in the wrong direction upon activation if the warp fields are not adjusted for the Hubble constant. Furthermore, there is currently no known method of creating or exiting a warp bubble. There is also discussion about the possibility of using this technology in real life, but it remains a theoretical concept.
dan_r
Dear all, I was reading about the Alcubierre drive, and although there's the more recent issue with Hawking radiation potentially frying everything within the warp field that's generated, I was wondering whether there had been any thought given to the possibility of the drive being flung parsecs in the wrong direction upon activation if the two warp fields aren't adjusted in such a way to take the Hubble constant into account?

As I understand it, there's the 'relatively' constant speed of universal expansion being (from the WMAP site) 70.8 ± 1.6 (km/s)/Mpc in flat space or 70.8 ± 4.0 (km/s)/Mpc otherwise.

Could the creation of a space-time warp according Alcubierre's hyopthesis cause the drive to be completely removed from the local space-time frame of reference and be flung into history as opposed to propelling it to worlds unknown? Would it actually be possible to operate such a drive accurately until we can calculate the absolute directions and angles in which the Universe is expanding and compensate the strength of the fields to take that into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
dan_r said:
As I understand it, there's the 'relatively' constant speed of universal expansion being (from the WMAP site) 70.8 ± 1.6 (km/s)/Mpc in flat space or 70.8 ± 4.0 (km/s)/Mpc otherwise.

The figure you're quoting isn't a velocity -- note its units. We have a FAQ entry that may be relevant: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508610

It will probably be easier to have a discussion that will be helpful to you if you tell us something about your background in math and physics.

dan_r said:
[...]I was wondering whether there had been any thought given to the possibility of the drive being flung parsecs in the wrong direction upon activation if the two warp fields aren't adjusted in such a way to take the Hubble constant into account?
From what I understand about the Alcubierre spacetime, there is no "activation." WP says, "[...]there are no known methods to create such a warp bubble in a region that does not already contain one, or to leave the bubble once inside it,[...]"

Last edited by a moderator:
bcrowell said:
The figure you're quoting isn't a velocity -- note its units. We have a FAQ entry that may be relevant: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=508610

It will probably be easier to have a discussion that will be helpful to you if you tell us something about your background in math and physics.

From what I understand about the Alcubierre spacetime, there is no "activation." WP says, "[...]there are no known methods to create such a warp bubble in a region that does not already contain one, or to leave the bubble once inside it,[...]"

I'm a complete beginner! I'm starting my studies in September after a career in law and politics, so it's totally new to me. I keep coming across all these interesting things though, and I'm trying to get an idea in my head how things gel together.

I assumed that if, in a hypothetical situation, one had access to a functioning Alcubierre drive then once the two warp fields were activated the drive itself enters the Alcubierre spacetime, hence the 'activation'. And as I stated above, in this hypothetical situation, it may well be the case that the bubble would remain static while the Universe continued to expand ahead of it.

Like your quote says though, there are no known methods of causing this to happen so I guess it's a pointless question.

Last edited by a moderator:
dan_r said:
I'm a complete beginner! I'm starting my studies in September after a career in law and politics, so it's totally new to me.

Cool! So you're starting an undergrad degree in physics...?

bcrowell said:
Cool! So you're starting an undergrad degree in physics...?

At the grand old age of 35 indeed I am! I'm doing two year's distance learning to get myself refreshed - my original background was in Biology, but I ended up working in law and politics strangely.

On completion of that you go to university proper, but skip ahead to the second year. There's the option of doing an 'undergraduate masters' if you do well in the second year.. not completely sure about that, but it would appear that you can go straight on to doing your PhD instead of completing a standalone post-grad masters.

But yes, I am very rusty with some of the fundamentals.. I was last at uni in 1996 ;)

1. What is the Alcubierre Drive?

The Alcubierre Drive is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994, which suggests a way to travel faster than the speed of light by warping the fabric of space-time.

2. How does the Alcubierre Drive compare to the Hubble Constant?

The Alcubierre Drive and the Hubble Constant are two separate concepts that are not directly related. The Alcubierre Drive is a proposed method of faster-than-light travel, while the Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate of expansion of the universe.

3. Can the Alcubierre Drive be used to explore distant galaxies?

The Alcubierre Drive is currently only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be physically possible. Therefore, it cannot be used for space exploration at this time.

4. Is the Alcubierre Drive a feasible mode of transportation?

While the Alcubierre Drive is an intriguing idea, it is currently not feasible due to the immense amount of energy required to create the space-time warp. It also raises questions about the potential negative effects on the surrounding space and objects.

5. How does the Alcubierre Drive affect our understanding of the universe?

The Alcubierre Drive, if proven to be possible, could potentially revolutionize our understanding of space and time. It challenges the current laws of physics and could open up new possibilities for space travel and exploration.