Algebra between US and international edition

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the US and international editions of Artin's book on algebra. The main differences are in the cover and exercises at the end of each chapter, and the US edition is more expensive. It is advised to purchase the US edition over the international one, as the latter may not be approved for sale in the US and may be of lower quality. Additionally, there may be concerns about supporting piracy by purchasing international editions.
Maths Lover
Algebra between US and international edition !

Hello,
in my Last topic " click here "

I found that there is 2 kind of artin's book : algebra .. Us and international edition .. and AbeBooks showed the diffrence between the 2 kinds : first, in the cover and the other is the exercises in the end of each chapter .. also : I noticed that Us edition is more expensive than international edition ..

so I ask your advice : what is better : US edition or international edition ??

what US denote to here ? United State of America edition ? or another thing ?

why the international edition is cheaper that US edition ?

the international edition
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8631375532&searchurl=isbn=9780132413770

US edition :
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=7521346074&searchurl=isbn=9780132413770

Physics news on Phys.org

usually international editions are cheaper because of economic realities and business contracts in foreign countries. presumably they are not actually approved for for sale in the US, so it is a bit like cheating to buy them if you live here and could afford the US version. Students are poor though and often ignore this fact. Even worse but very common for years were pirated versions from foreign countries that pay nothing at all to authors like Mike for use of his book. I am no longer poor, and personally I would "never" buy an international edition. (I might be tempted to if the book were incredibly useful to me and unavailable in any other form, but would still try to resist.)

Another thing to be aware of is that some international versions are printed poorly and on low-quality paper. This can make figures, graphs, and equations harder to read. I have never seen an international version of Artin's book so I don't know if this is an issue for that title.

Thank You very much , you Have Gaven me lot's of information I didn't know before !

I think that I'll get the US edition not the international one ..

Hello,

I would like to point out that the content and material covered in algebra textbooks, whether US or international edition, should be the same. The only difference may be in the presentation style and format. Therefore, the choice between the two should depend on personal preference and budget.

The term "US edition" most likely refers to the textbook published for use in the United States. It may have a different cover and layout compared to the international edition, but the content should be similar.

The reason for the price difference between the two editions could be due to factors such as production costs, distribution, and marketing strategies. It is not uncommon for international editions to be cheaper as they are often produced with lower production costs and may not have the same marketing expenses as the US edition.

In terms of which edition is better, it ultimately depends on your needs and budget. If you prefer a specific layout or presentation style, then the US edition may be a better fit for you. However, if budget is a concern, the international edition may be a more affordable option without compromising on the material covered.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process. Remember, the most important thing is to choose a textbook that will help you learn and understand algebra effectively.

1. What is the difference between the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks?

The main difference between the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks is the language used. US editions typically use American English and may have different formatting or examples to cater to the US curriculum. International editions may use British English or other variations, and may have examples or exercises that are more relevant to a global audience.

2. Can a student use either edition of the Algebra textbook regardless of their location?

Yes, a student can use either edition of the Algebra textbook regardless of their location. However, it is important for the student to check with their instructor to ensure that the edition they choose aligns with their curriculum and course requirements.

3. Are there any significant differences in content between the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks?

In most cases, the content in the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks is very similar. However, there may be minor variations in the order of topics or the number of practice exercises. These differences should not significantly impact a student's understanding of the subject.

4. Why are there different editions of Algebra textbooks for different regions?

Algebra textbooks may have different editions for different regions due to cultural and educational differences. The examples and exercises used may be more relevant or relatable to students in a specific region, making it easier for them to understand and apply the concepts being taught.

5. Can a student use both the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks together?

Yes, a student can use both the US and international editions of Algebra textbooks together. However, it is important for the student to be aware of any differences in content or format and to clarify with their instructor which edition should be used for their class assignments and exams.