Algebra question involving prime numbers

In summary, the homework statement states that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. Proving this is a difficult task, and Darkiekurdo is struggling to understand how to begin.
Darkiekurdo

Homework Statement

Let the prime numbers, in order of magnitude, be p1, p2 ... Prove that pn+1 ≤ p1p2...pn + 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start. I think it involves reductio ad absurdum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Euclid's proof that there are an infinite number of primes. You can adapt it directly.

Okay. So we want to show that there are infinitely many prime numbers. Let's assume that there are only a finity amount of prime numbers which we'll label as p1, p2, ..., pn.

Now let's consider some number, N, which is obtained by multiplying all prime numbers and adding 1:

N = p1p2 ... pn + 1.

N must have a prime factor. This prime factor must be one of p1, p2, ..., pn, because they are all the prime numbers. But this causes a contradiction since N leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by any of the prime numbers.

Conclusion: there are infinitely many prime numbers.

----

Now let's go to our problem: we want to show that pn+1 ≤ p1p2 ... pn + 1.

Let's assume it is false, so: pn+1 ≥ p1p2 ... pn + 1.

Now consider the number N ≥ p1p2 ... pn + 1 where N = pn+1.

This number must have a prime factor, so we will have to divide by a prime number which is one of p1, p2, ..., pn.

But we can't do this because this leaves a remainder of 1, which leads to a contradiction.Is it something like this? Sorry for the long post but this way I can summarise everything up for myself.

You're off to a good start. But the end is a little muddled. Call M=(p1p2...pn)+1. M has a prime factor, call it p, that is NOT one of the p1...pn. Good so far. Since p=pj for some j, it must be that j>n. Ok so far? Since you are listing the primes in ascending order it follows that p=pj>=pn+1. Since p is a factor of M, p<=M. So pn+1<=p<=M.

What is pj, a prime number? And why does it follow that j>n?

Darkiekurdo said:
Now consider the number N ≥ p1p2 ... pn + 1 where N = pn+1.

This number must have a prime factor …

Hi Darkiekurdo! :smile:

No … N = pn+1 is prime, isn't it (it's the next prime after pn)? :redface:

You need to consider N - 1. :smile:

Darkiekurdo said:
What is pj, a prime number? And why does it follow that j>n?

Read what I wrote carefully. pj is a prime number that divides M. It's not one of p1...pn. So j>n.

Ah I see it now. Thanks to the both of you!

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How do I know if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you can try dividing it by smaller numbers. If it is only divisible by 1 and itself, then it is a prime number. Alternatively, you can use the Sieve of Eratosthenes method, which involves creating a list of numbers and crossing out all the numbers that are multiples of other numbers, leaving only the prime numbers.

3. What is the importance of prime numbers in algebra?

Prime numbers are important in algebra because they are the building blocks of all other numbers. They cannot be broken down into smaller factors, making them essential in finding the factors of larger numbers and solving equations.

4. How do prime numbers relate to the distribution of numbers in algebra?

The distribution of prime numbers follows a specific pattern known as the Prime Number Theorem, which states that the number of primes less than a given number x is approximately equal to x/ln(x). This relationship is important in understanding the distribution of numbers and the density of primes.

5. Can prime numbers be negative or fractions?

No, prime numbers are defined as positive integers. Negative numbers and fractions do not fit the criteria of being divisible only by 1 and itself, therefore they cannot be prime numbers.