1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra with a little differenentation

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    I have the following terms
    X, Y, Z, J and K
    Where everything is a function of t

I want to combine these equations into a single equation where the X, Y, and Z terms are no longer in the equation and there are only terms of J on the RHS and K on the LHS or visa versa

i) X = Y^2 + Y
    ii) Z = dX/dt
    iii) J = Z + Y
    iv) K = X + J

I'm told this should be possible but not matter which way I combine these I get something along the lines of

K = J^2 + ( K'(t) + J'(t) )^2 - 2*J ( K'(t) + J'(t) ) - ( K'(t)+J'(t) )

and obviously this is going to leave you with products of J and Ks that can't be seperated (I need all the K'(t) terms to be over with it's buddy on the LHS). No matter what stratagy I use to avoid this I can't help but get these terms combining.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Where did this problem arise?

Who told you this is possible?

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    It's a simplification of an RCR electrical circiut problem with a variable resistor that varies as a function of the current. It was an assignment. I've asked and I know the first part is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook