1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Geometry - D&F Section 15.1, Exercise 24

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    Dummit and Foote Section 15.1, Exercise 24 reads as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let [itex] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z) \subseteq \mathbb{A}^3 [/itex].

Prove that [itex] V [/itex] is isomorphic to [itex] \mathbb{A}^2 [/itex]

and provide an explicit isomorphism [itex] \phi [/itex] and associated k-algebra isomorphism [itex] \widetilde{\phi} [/itex] from [itex] k[V] [/itex] to [itex] k[ \mathbb{A}^2] [/itex] along with their inverses.

Is [itex] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z^2) [/itex] isomorphic to [itex] \mathbb{A}^2 [/itex]?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate some help and guidance with getting started with this exercise [I suspect I might need considerable guidance! :-( ]

Some of the background and definitions are given in the attachment.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2
    So you you need to find an isomorphism between ##\mathbb{A}^2## and the surface ##z=xy##. A suitable isomorphism should be ##\varphi(x,y) = (x,y,xy)##. Does that help?

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the help, R136a1

Will now reflect on your guidance

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted