1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Algebraic Geometry - D&F Section 15.1 - Exercise 15

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    Dummit and Foote (D&F), Ch15, Section 15.1, Exercise 15 reads as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If [itex] k = \mathbb{F}_2 [/itex] and [itex] V = \{ (0,0), (1,1) \} \subset \mathbb{A}^2 [/itex],

show that [itex] \mathcal{I} (V) [/itex] is the product ideal [itex] m_1m_2 [/itex]

where [itex] m_1 = (x,y) [/itex] and [itex] m_2 = (x -1, y-1) [/itex].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having trouble getting started on this problem.

One issue/problem I have is - what is the exact nature of [itex] m_1, m_2 [/itex] and [itex] m_1m_2 [/itex]. What (explicitly) are the nature of the elements of these ideals.

I would appreciate some help and guidance.

Peter

Note: D&F define [itex] \mathcal{I} (V) [/itex] as follows:

[itex] \mathcal{I} (V) = \{ f \in k(x_1, x_2, ......... , x_n) \ | \ f(a_1, a_2, ......... , a_n) = 0 \ \ \forall \ \ (a_1, a_2, ......... , a_n) \in V \} [/itex]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2
    The ideal ##m_1m_2## is generated by ##\{xy~\vert~x\in m_1,y\in m_2\}##. So ##m_1m_2## consists of sums of these elements.

Is this what you wanted to know?

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks R136a1

Can you also specify what the elements of [itex] m_1 [/itex] and [itex] m_2 [/itex] look like?

Thanks Again,

Peter

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4
    Elements of ##m_1## have the form

[tex]\alpha x + \beta y[/tex]

for ##\alpha,\beta\in \mathbb{F}_2##. Analogous for ##m_2##.

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5
    Thanks R136a1

Just reflecting on your reply.

Given the context of this exercise (algebraic geometry) and the definition of

[itex] \mathcal{I} (V) [/itex] as follows:

[itex] \mathcal{I} (V) = \{ f \in k(x_1, x_2, ......... , x_n) \ | \ f(a_1, a_2, ......... , a_n) = 0 \ \ \forall \ \ (a_1, a_2, ......... , a_n) \in V \} [/itex]

would it be more accurate to (following our lead) to define the elements of (x,y) as

[itex] f_1x + f_2y [/itex]

where [itex] f_1, f_2 \in \mathbb{F}_2[x,y] [/itex]

What do you think?

Peter

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  7. Oct 30, 2013 #6
    Yes, of course. What was I thinking...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted