1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projective Plane - Cox et al - Section 8.1, Exercise 4(a)

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 8, Section 1: The Projective Plane ... ... and need help getting started with Exercise 4(a) ...

Exercise 4 in Section 8.1 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=3aead1e54c2bf92c11634289bbe9ecf3.png

Can someone please help me with Exercise 4(a) ... ... indeed, what is actually involved in (rigorously) showing that the equation ##x^2 - y^2 = z^2## is a well-defined curve in ##\mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## ... but I am very unsure of exactly how this works ... ...

Presumably, what is involved is not only (rigorously) showing that the equation ##x^2 - y^2 = z^2## is a well-defined curve in ##\mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## but showing that ##x^2 - y^2 = z^2## is the representation in ##\mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## of the curve ##x^2 - y^2 = 1## in ##\mathbb{R}^2## ... ... ?

Hope someone can help ... ...

2. Relevant equations

Definitions 1, 2, and 3 of Cox et al Section 8.1: The Projective Plane are relevant (see text below for Cox et al Section 8.1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very uncertain about what is required in this example and so it is hard to make any substantial progress ... but I think the following map would be central to answering the question:

##\mathbb{R}^2 \longrightarrow \mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )##

which is defined by sending ##(x, y) \in \mathbb{R}^2## to the point ##p \in \mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## whose homogeneous coordinates are ##(x, y, 1)## ... ...

BUT ... how do we get the variable ##z## explicitly in the equation when ##(x, y)## is sent to ##(x, y, 1)## ... ... ?

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

======================================================================

To give readers of the above post some idea of the context of the exercise, the relevant definitions and propositions, and also the notation I am providing some relevant text from Cox et al ... ... as follows:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(a) is easy enough. I suspect the hard stuff comes later. The curve ##x^2-y^2=z^2## is well-defined iff for every point P on the curve, the equation ##(x,y,z)## is satisfied for every possible triple of homogeneous coordinates of P. In other words, we require that for any point Q in the projective space and any two triples ##(a,b,c)## and ##(d,e,f)## of homogeneous coordinates of Q, ##a^2-b^2=c^2## iff ##(d^2-e^2=f^3)##.

This follows immediately because for the triples to be homog coords of the same point, there must be a non-zero real number ##\lambda## such that
    $$a=\lambda d;\ b=\lambda e;\ c=\lambda f$$
    But then
    $$a^2-b^2-c^2=\lambda(d^2-e^2-f^2)$$
    and, since ##\lambda ## is nonzero, the LHS is zero iff the RHS is.

4. Jul 18, 2016 #3

Hi Andrew ... thanks for the help ...

Yes, see that, of course ... BUT ... I thought the question involved more than that ...

I thought the question involved showing that the curve ##x^2 - y^2 = 1## in ##\mathbb{R}^2## becomes the curve ##x^2 - y^2 = z^2## in ##\mathbb{P}^2 ( \mathbb{R} )## ... indeed I think this is true ... BUT ... how do you rigorously show this ... can you help ...?

Peter

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  5. Jul 18, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the author's intention is for the nature of the curve to become apparent to the reader by working through parts a-e. Part (a) on its own won't reveal much.
    Can you work out how to answer (b)? I can help with that if needed, although I can't say how it relates to Exercise 3, as that does not appear to have been posted. (e) also refers to Exercise 3, so it would be a good idea to post that, if it's not too long. Perhaps the whole thing will become clearer with a good look at Exercise 3.
    What do you think the author means by 'C is still a hyperbola' and 'is a circle' in questions c and d? When we make the substitutions he requests we get equations that, in Euclidean 2-space with Cartesian coordinates, are those of a hyperbola and a circle, but I'm not sure if he means that or something else (something to do with shape?).

As regards the map ##\phi:\mathbb R\to\mathbb P^2(\mathbb R)##, that seems quite straightforward.
    The map is ##\phi(P)\equiv\phi((x,y))=[(x,y,1)]## where the square brackets denote 'equivalence class of'.
    Then if we label the set of points on the hyperbola in Euclidean 2-space as ##Y##, we have that ##(x,y)\in Y\
    \Leftrightarrow x^2-y^2=1##. But ##(x,y,1)## is a homogeneous coordinate triple for ##Q\equiv\phi(P)##, so one set of homog coords for Q satisfies the equation for ##C## hence, by the result of part (a), ##Q\in C##. Hence ##\phi(Y)\subseteq C## and, since no point of ##\phi(Y)## can be at infinity (since it maps to ##z=1##), we in fact have ##\phi(Y)\subseteq C\smallsetminus H_\infty##.

Conversely, if we have a point ##[(x,y,z)]## in the projective space, excluding ##H_\infty## (the points at infinity, for which ##z=0##), such that ##x^2-y^2=z^2##, that point is ##\phi((x',y'))## where ##x'=x/z,\ y'=y/z## and that is in ##\phi(Y)## since ##x'{}^2-y'{}^2=1##. Hence ##C\smallsetminus H_\infty\subseteq \phi(Y)##.

Hence ##\phi(Y)=C\smallsetminus H_\infty##. However ##C## also has points that are not in the image of ##\phi##, being the points in ##H_\infty##.

Also note that ##\phi## is not injective, because of the squares. In fact four points in ##Y## map to every point in ##\phi(Y)##. However, the map obtained by restricting the domain of ##\phi## to one quadrant of the number plane is a bijection from that restricted domain to ##C\smallsetminus H_\infty##.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. Jul 18, 2016 #5

Thanks again Andrew ... ... just working through your new post now ...

My apologies for not posting Exercise 3 ... am providing it now ... as follows:

?temp_hash=462da4ed20fd411739395e2ddcdb004b.png

Peter

Attached Files:

7. Jul 18, 2016 #6

Just a quick question, Andrew ...

You write:

" ... ... Then if we label the set of points on the hyperbola in Euclidean 2-space as ##Y##, we have that ##(x,y)\in Y\
    \Leftrightarrow x^2-y^2## ... ...

I may be misunderstanding something ... but shouldn't the above read:

"... ... ... we have that ##(x,y)\in Y \ \Leftrightarrow x^2-y^2 = 1## ... ...

Small point ... but ... just checking ...

Peter

8. Jul 18, 2016 #7

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Peter: quite right. That was a typo, which I have now corrected in that post.

My project for last weekend was to memorise the positions of all the non-alphanumeric symbols on the keyboard, so that when typing maths I will no longer have to look at the keyboard to find the right keys.

So far it seems to be going quite well. I'm a lot slower, but I don't look at the keyboard at all now, and I'm confident that within a fortnight or so I'll get back up to my previous typing speed. But in the mean time, it means I type some silly mistakes because half my brain is occupied with trying to remember where the special keys are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted