Algebraic manipulation of sum of squares.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
tleave2000
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hiya.

I got to an interesting bit in a calculus book, but as usual I'm stumped by a (probably simple) algebraic step.
The author goes from:
[tex](ds)^2=(dx)^2+(dy)^2[/tex]
to:
[tex]ds=\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}dx[/tex]
I understand moving the square root across, but I don't understand how the right hand side in the first equation turns into what is under the square root in the second equation.

I hope someone can help. Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tleave2000 said:
[tex]ds=\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2dx}[/tex]
... check that: does the dx at the end go inside or outside the square-root symbol?
 
Simon Bridge said:
... check that: does the dx at the end go inside or outside the square-root symbol?

Nice one! It should go outside, not inside. I'll correct it in the original post.

However at first glance the manipulation is still mysterious to me.
 
(1) Factor a "dx" out on the right side.

(2) Take the square root of both sides.
 
The clue is that you need a dx^2 in the denominator - so dividing by that is usually a good guess.

So: divide both sides by dx^2 (or just factor it out on the RHS as Ivy suggests.)
The rest should be clear.

Or you can try it backwards - start with the final result and try to get back to the start.
Hint: square both sides.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you both. I got it a little while after your post Simon, but my working was a mess and Ivy's post really clarified what it was that I had done. I latexed up the tidied version.

[tex](ds)^2=(dx)^2+(dy)^2[/tex]
[tex](ds)^2=(dx)^2+\frac{(dx)^2(dy)^2}{(dx)^2}[/tex]
[tex](ds)^2=(dx)^2(1+\frac{(dy)^2}{(dx)^2})[/tex]
[tex]ds=\sqrt{(dx)^2(1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2)}[/tex]
[tex]ds=\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}dx[/tex]