1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic solution of Trig equation.

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    The question as is written :

Solve for x

5cosx-2= -0.72 ( 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2[tex]\Pi[/tex] )

(The answer given is "1.31, 4.97".)

So, i done what seemed natural.

5cosx-2=-0.72

5cosx = 1.28
    cosx = 1.28/5
    cosx = 0.256

Firstly, i'm not even sure what unit my answer is supposed to be in. Since x is defined as Radians in the question, my answer of .256 = .256pi Radians (.256 of 180)?
    Which should give solutions in the 1st & 4th quadrants.

All of the questions untill (there are a bunch similar to this) these ones have been in the form of, for example, 4=5 - tan2x (x in radians), which, as there are no decimals in the solution work out easy (pi/8, 5pi/8).. . why, if x is defined in Radians in the question, are the answers in decimals? I dont understand the principle of this when decimals are involved for some reasons.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    [tex]x=\cos^{-1}{\left(\frac{2-0.72}{5}\right)}[/tex]

Should be in radians.

Find the values in the 1st and 4th quadrant.

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well if 5-tan2x=4 then that is the same as tan2x=1,right? and arctan(1)=pi/4

The only reason why are usually get your answers in terms of pi are most likely due to the fact that the questions you do end up with a trig function being equal to a standard number.

For example, [itex]sin3x=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \Rightarrow 3x=sin^{-1}(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})[/itex]

and [itex]sin^{-1}(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})=\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?