Trigonometric inequality problem.

In summary: What I forgot to do is intersect this with the intervals in which the case is valid, sin(x)≥1/6; this means the intervals for case 1 are 1/6≤sin(x)≤1/2.Altogether, using both cases, we have sin(x)≤1/2; sin(x)=1/2 when x=2πn+π/6 or 2πn+5π/6, and between these two values, for each specific n∈Z, sin(x)≥1/2.Between the greater of those two values for n-1, and the lesser of those two for n, sin(x)
SciencyBoi

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the inequality ## \sqrt{5-2sin(x)}\geq6sin(x)-1 ##

Answer: ## [\frac{\pi(12n-7)}{6} ,\frac{\pi(12n+1)}{6}]~~; n \in Z##

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two cases possible;
Case-1: ##6sin(x)-1\geq0##
or ##~~~~~~~~\sin(x)\geq\frac{1}{6}##
Here, we can square both sides to get the following;
##18\sin(x)-5\sin(x)-2\leq 0##

##(9\sin(x)+2)(2\sin(x)-1 \leq 0##
## \frac{-2}{9} \leq \sin(x) \leq \frac{1}{ 2}##
Case-2:##6sin(x)-1\leq0##
or ##~~~~~~~~\sin(x)\leq\frac{1}{6}##

This interval has to be discarded from the interval that is obtained from case 1.

And we have to consider the conditions obtained above, which I'm not able to I as##~ \arcsin(\frac{-2}{9})## is a little overwhelming and also, doesn't correspond to the answer given. Please guide further.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SciencyBoi said:

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the inequality ## \sqrt{5-2sin(x)}\geq6sin(x)-1 ##

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two cases possible;
Case-1: ##6sin(x)-1\geq0##
or ##~~~~~~~~\sin(x)\geq\frac{1}{6}##

Case-2:##6sin(x)-1\leq0##
No.
A square root is greater than or equal to zero, so case 2 isn't applicable, except for the possibility that 6sin(x) - 1 = 0, which is already covered in case 1.
SciencyBoi said:
or ##~~~~~~~~\sin(x)\leq\frac{1}{6}##

And we have to take the union of the conditions obtained above, which I'm not able to I as## \arcsin(\frac{-2}{9})## is a little overwhelming. Please guide further.
Why not just square both sides of the original inequality, and solve for x. Because the squaring operation can introduce extraneous roots, you'll need to check your solutions in the original inequality.

Mark44 said:
No.
A square root is greater than or equal to zero, so case 2 isn't applicable, except for the possibility that 6sin(x) - 1 = 0, which is already covered in case 1.

Okay, Case 2 is wrong, I oiginally meant to discard the interval that'll be obtained from case 2 from the final interval obtained. I somehow did the mistake while typing, and made some last changes. I have now edited the original post. Sorry.
Why not just square both sides of the original inequality, and solve for x. Because the squaring operation can introduce extraneous roots, you'll need to check your solutions in the original inequality.
As far as I know (High school math), that is exactly what I had done. If wrong, please guide. Thank You.

SciencyBoi said:
In the first line of your work, the first term should be ##18\sin^2(x)##, but I'm sure this was just a typo.
In the original inequality, the right side will be nonnegative when ##\sin(x) \ge \frac 1 6##, so it would seem that the basic solution ##\frac 1 6 \le \sin(x) \le \frac 1 2##. Note that I didn't write this in terms of x, but rather in terms of sin(x).
I don't see how this ties into the solution you posted in your later edit.

Mark44 said:
In the first line of your work, the first term should be ##18\sin^2(x)##, but I'm sure this was just a typo.
In the original inequality, the right side will be nonnegative when ##\sin(x) \ge \frac 1 6##, so it would seem that the basic solution ##\frac 1 6 \le \sin(x) \le \frac 1 2##. Note that I didn't write this in terms of x, but rather in terms of sin(x).
I don't see how this ties into the solution you posted in your later edit.
Actually, I think I was right the first time.
Actually, for case 2, if 6sin(x)-1≤0, then sqrt(5-2sin(x)), if it exists, is definitely greater than or equal to 6sin(x)-1; that square root does always exist, because 5-2sin(x) ranges from 3 to 7.
This means you actually take the union of the intervals from the two cases.

What I forgot to do is intersect this with the intervals in which the case is valid, sin(x)≥1/6; this means the intervals for case 1 are 1/6≤sin(x)≤1/2.
Altogether, using both cases, we have sin(x)≤1/2; sin(x)=1/2 when x=2πn+π/6 or 2πn+5π/6, and between these two values, for each specific n∈Z, sin(x)≥1/2.
Between the greater of those two values for n-1, and the lesser of those two for n, sin(x)≤1/2; the answer is written in this way, taking closed intervals between 2π*(n-1)+5π/6 and 2π*n+π/6, and re-writing those two expressions. Voila! Thanks...

SciencyBoi said:
Actually, I think I was right the first time.
Yes, my mistake. A square root will always be greater than or equal to any negative number, with emphasis on the "greater than" part.
SciencyBoi said:
Actually, for case 2, if 6sin(x)-1≤0, then sqrt(5-2sin(x)), if it exists, is definitely greater than or equal to 6sin(x)-1; that square root does always exist, because 5-2sin(x) ranges from 3 to 7.
This means you actually take the union of the intervals from the two cases.

What I forgot to do is intersect this with the intervals in which the case is valid, sin(x)≥1/6; this means the intervals for case 1 are 1/6≤sin(x)≤1/2.
Altogether, using both cases, we have sin(x)≤1/2; sin(x)=1/2 when x=2πn+π/6 or 2πn+5π/6, and between these two values, for each specific n∈Z, sin(x)≥1/2.
Between the greater of those two values for n-1, and the lesser of those two for n, sin(x)≤1/2; the answer is written in this way, taking closed intervals between 2π*(n-1)+5π/6 and 2π*n+π/6, and re-writing those two expressions. Voila! Thanks...

1. What is a trigonometric inequality problem?

A trigonometric inequality problem is a mathematical question that involves using trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for a variable in an inequality. These types of problems can be solved using algebraic techniques as well as knowledge of trigonometric identities and properties.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric inequality problem?

To solve a trigonometric inequality problem, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the inequality. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to simplify the equation and manipulate it until you are left with a solution. It is also helpful to use known trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric inequality problems?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric inequality problems include substituting trigonometric identities, using the unit circle, graphing the trigonometric functions, and applying algebraic techniques to simplify the equation. It is also important to carefully analyze the inequality and consider any restrictions or special cases that may be involved.

4. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric inequality problems more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve trigonometric inequality problems more efficiently. These include practicing regularly, memorizing key trigonometric identities and properties, understanding the relationships between different trigonometric functions, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How can I check if my solution to a trigonometric inequality problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a trigonometric inequality problem is correct is to plug your answer back into the original inequality and see if it satisfies the equation. Another helpful method is to graph both sides of the inequality and see where they intersect, as this can provide a visual confirmation of the solution.