Algebraic topology, groups and covering short, exact sequences

In summary, the conversation covered four problems related to normal coverings, fundamental groups, and exact sequences. The first problem involved classifying four-sheeted normal coverings of a wedge of circles, which have four vertices and loops at each vertex. The second problem discussed the inability to generate a normal subgroup of infinite index using a finite subset. The third problem focused on finding the fundamental group of RP²vRP² and whether a normal covering with deck transformation group Z/4Z exists. The final problem delved into the exact sequence of a fibration and the action of the fundamental group on the fiber.
KG1
Hi everyone!

I would like to solve some questions:

Classify up to isomorphism the four-sheeted normal coverings of a wedge of circles. describe them.

i tried to to this and it is my understanding that such four sheeted normal coverings have four vertices and there are loops at each of the vertices. For this graph to be a normal covering the deck transformation group needs to be Z/2*Z/2

second problem: show that a normal subgroup H of a free group L which has infinite index can't be generated by a finite subset. (use the deck transformation of an appropriate covering).
I have no ideas for this one.

Third problem: what is the fundamental group of RP²vRP²? can you find a normal cover of RP²vRP² which deck transformation group is Z/4Z?
First of all the fundamental group of RP²vRP² is Z/2*Z/2.
Second it is my understanding that this problem reduces to knowing whether we can have Z/4Z isomorphic to (Z/2*Z/2)/H with H a normal subgroup of Z/2*Z/2. Does such a normal subgroup exist?

Fourth problem finally: we have p:E-->B a fibration. Analyse the exact sequence :
pi_1(E,e)->pi_1(B,b)->pi_0(F,e)->pi_0(E,e)->pi_0(B,b)

what does exact sequence mean at pi_0(F,e)?
For this one I tried to say that there is an action of pi_0(B,b) on the fiber, an action which is transitive.In addtion pi_0(F,e) represent the connected components of the fiber. But I need to show that two points in the fiber F have same image by the induced inclusion i* of pi_0(F) in pi_0(E) if and only if they are in the same orbit under the action of the fundamental group of the base B

Sorry for this long post and thanks for any help or explanation!

Physics news on Phys.org
Third problem: what is the fundamental group of RP²vRP²? can you find a normal cover of RP²vRP² which deck transformation group is Z/4Z?
First of all the fundamental group of RP²vRP² is Z/2*Z/2.
Second it is my understanding that this problem reduces to knowing whether we can have Z/4Z isomorphic to (Z/2*Z/2)/H with H a normal subgroup of Z/2*Z/2. Does such a normal subgroup exist?

Z/2*Z/2 has two generators of order two. Z/4 has one element of order 2. So if such an H were to exist then one or both of the generators would be zero mod H or they would be congruent mod H. None of these cases give you Z/4. If both generators are in H then the quotient group is trivial. If only one of them is in H then the quotient is Z/2.
If they are equal mod H the quotient is Z/2.

Interestingly, if you mod out by the normal subgroup generated by (ab)^4 where a and b are the two generators then the quotient has Z/4 as a subgroup of index 2. The entire quotient is the dihedral group of order 8.

1. What is algebraic topology?

Algebraic topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of topological spaces using algebraic tools. It focuses on the study of continuous functions between spaces and their corresponding algebraic invariants.

2. What are groups in algebraic topology?

A group in algebraic topology is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. Groups are important in this field as they help to classify and understand the symmetries of topological spaces.

3. What is a covering short, exact sequence?

A covering short, exact sequence is a type of sequence in algebraic topology that is used to describe the relationship between two groups. It consists of three groups and two homomorphisms, and is used to study the structure and properties of topological spaces.

4. How is algebraic topology used in real-world applications?

Algebraic topology has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve problems related to network design, data analysis, and pattern recognition. It also has applications in robotics, computer graphics, and materials science.

5. What are some common tools and techniques used in algebraic topology?

Some common tools and techniques used in algebraic topology include homotopy theory, homology theory, and cohomology theory. Other important tools include category theory, sheaf theory, and spectral sequences. These techniques are used to study topological spaces and their properties in a systematic and rigorous way.