Split Short Exact Sequences - Bland - Proposition 3.2.6

In summary, Bland has constructed an application $g'$ that may not be well defined because he tooks a definition based in $g'(y)=...(x)$ with $g(x)=y$. He needs to prove that if you choose $x,x'$ with $g(x)=g(x')=y$ then $g'(y)=...(x)=...(x')$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 3.2 on exact sequences in Mod_R and need help with the proof of Proposition 3.2.6.

Proposition 3.2.6 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 3609The part of the proof that perplexes me is the section of the proof that begins with the claim that \(\displaystyle g'\) is well defined. That section of the proof reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3610Now Bland takes two elements from \(\displaystyle Ker f'\), namely:

\(\displaystyle (x - f(f'(x)))\) and \(\displaystyle (x - f(f'(x))) \)

and forms their difference (which must also belong to \(\displaystyle Ker f'\) since \(\displaystyle Ker f'\) is a submodule) thus forming:

\(\displaystyle (x - f(f'(x))) - (x - f(f'(x)))\)

which Bland shows is equal to

\(\displaystyle (x - x') - f(f'(x - x'))
\)Now he has already shown that \(\displaystyle (x - x') \in I am f\) and certainly \(\displaystyle f(f'(x - x')) \in I am f\) ... ...

So we have that:

\(\displaystyle (x - x') - f(f'(x - x')) \in Ker f' \cap I am f \)

and also we have

\(\displaystyle Ker f' \cap I am f = 0\) since \(\displaystyle M = Ker f' \oplus I am f\)

... ...

BUT ... ...

... ... why does this prove that \(\displaystyle g'\) is "well defined" ... indeed what does Bland mean by this?

Further to the question can someone please confirm that my analysis above is correct ... or better ... critique my analysis pointing out any questionable or inaccurate statements ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Bland's has just constructed an application $g'$, that may not be well defined because he tooks a definition based in $g'(y)=...(x)$ with $g(x)=y$.

This definition may depend on $x$, because $g$ doesn't need to be injective.

So he needs to prove that if you choose $x,x'$ with $g(x)=g(x')=y$ then $g'(y)=...(x)=...(x')$. That is, it doesn't mind what g-pre-image you choose for the element $y$, $g'(y)$ will be the same.

Now what he tooks is two elements such that $g(x)=g(x')$, and compute
$...(x)-...(x')=(x-f(f'(x)))-(x'-f(f'(x')))$ and proves that this difference lay on $Ker f' \cap I am f=0$, so $(x-f(f'(x)))-(x'-f(f'(x')))=0$, then $...(x)=...(x')$ and $g'$ is well defined.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

Bland's has just constructed an application $g'$, that may not be well defined because he tooks a definition based in $g'(y)=...(x)$ with $g(x)=y$.

This definition may depend on $x$, because $g$ doesn't need to be injective.

So he needs to prove that if you choose $x,x'$ with $g(x)=g(x')=y$ then $g'(y)=...(x)=...(x')$. That is, it doesn't mind what g-pre-image you choose for the element $y$, $g'(y)$ will be the same.

Now what he tooks is two elements such that $g(x)=g(x')$, and compute
$...(x)-...(x')=(x-f(f'(x)))-(x'-f(f'(x')))$ and proves that this difference lay on $Ker f' \cap I am f=0$, so $(x-f(f'(x)))-(x'-f(f'(x')))=0$, then $...(x)=...(x')$ and $g'$ is well defined.
Thanks for you help, Fallen Angel ... ...

Still reflecting on what you have written ...

Will get back to you soon on this matter ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Split Short Exact Sequences - Bland - Proposition 3.2.6

1. What is the significance of Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 in split short exact sequences?

Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 is significant because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a split short exact sequence. This means that it helps determine whether a given sequence is split or not, which is useful in studying the properties of modules and rings in algebraic structures.

2. What does it mean for a sequence to be "split" in Bland's Proposition 3.2.6?

In Bland's Proposition 3.2.6, a split sequence refers to a short exact sequence of modules or rings that can be "split" into smaller sequences. This means that the sequence can be broken down into smaller parts that are easier to study and analyze.

3. How does Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 relate to other mathematical concepts?

Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 is closely related to other concepts in algebra, such as homomorphisms, kernels, and cokernels. It provides a condition for these concepts to exist and be useful in studying split short exact sequences.

4. Can Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 be applied to other areas of science?

While Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 is primarily used in algebra and related fields, it can also be applied to other areas of science where the concept of short exact sequences is relevant. This includes fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where sequences and patterns are commonly studied.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bland's Proposition 3.2.6?

The applications of Bland's Proposition 3.2.6 are wide-ranging and diverse. Some examples include its use in studying financial markets and analyzing economic data, as well as its application in computer algorithms and artificial intelligence. It can also be applied in genetics and evolutionary biology to understand patterns and relationships between genes and organisms.