Algebriac Structures,hom wrecker

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
In summary, we are given a homomorphism T:V \rightarrow W and are asked to define a homomorphism T^*:Hom(W,F) \rightarrow Hom(V,F). We define T^* as a linear map from V to F, given by vfT*=(vT)f for all v in V and f in Hom(W,F). We can show that T^* is a homomorphism by verifying that \lambda (f+g)T^*=\lambda fT^*+\lambda gT^* for all \lambda \in F and f,g \in Hom(W,F). Additionally, it is trivial to show that f(T^*) \in Hom(V,F) by definition.
happyg1

Homework Statement

Let [tex]T:V \rightarrow W[/tex] be a homomorphism. Using T, define a homomorphism [tex]T^*:Hom(W,F) \rightarrow Hom(V,F) [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:
let [tex] f \in Hom(W,F)[/tex]
Define [tex] f(T^*):V \rightarrow F[/tex]
and [tex](v)((f)T^*)=((v)T)f[/tex]

Ok so then I need to show that [tex]T^*[/tex] is acutually a homomorphism.
So I tried this:
Let [tex]\lambda \in T^*[/tex]
Then
[tex]\lambda(f+g)T^*=\lambda(f(T^*)+g(T^*))[/tex]
[tex]=\lambda((f(T^*)) + \lambda(g(T^*))[/tex]
[tex]=(\lambda f)(T^*) + (\lambda g)(T^*)[/tex]
[tex]=(\lambda f +\lambda g) T^*[/tex]
[tex]=(\lambda f)T^* = (\lambda g)T^*[/tex]

So [tex]T^*[/tex] is a homomorphism.

I'm not sure if this is the correct approach since I have a slippery grasp on this stuff. My Prof says I need to also show that [tex]f(T^*) \in Hom(V,F)[/tex] that doesn't seem intuituvely difficult, but my problem is WRITING IT DOWN.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

CC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Precisely WHAT algebraic structures are V and W and what is F? My guess is that V and W are vector spaces over field F but I don't know for sure.

Your are correct, V and W are vector spaces over a field F.
Sorry.

Poor lad, having to write things on the wrong side like that.

I would say to your professor that it is bloody trivial bby definition that fT* is in Hom(V,F): it is a linear map from V to F.

yeah, I don't know why we are putting things on the right like that, but we do.
I agree that [tex]f(T^*) \in Hom(V,F) [/tex] is trivial, but apparently he wants it.
Am I correct in my attempt at the other part?

Thanks

CC

You're putting things on the right because you're looking at right modules for rings. There is a good reason for this, but not an interesting one for you.

fT* is in Hom(V,F) *by definition*. I.e. you defined it as a function from V to F, and the rest of you proof shows it is a linear map i.e. an element of Hom(V,F). Thus *my* response to you professor is "we define a function from V to F as follows: if v is in V then vfT*=(vT)f (IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS, THEN vT IS IN V SINCE V IS A FUNCTION FROM V TO V, AND f IS A FUNCTION FROM V TO F. Now we show that this is actually a linear map. INSERT YOUR PROOF"

the caps aren't 'shouty'. You should think about replacing them with something more appropriate. Oh, and don't copy the rest of this into your work either. A professor can tell precisely what you write from a mathematician's writing. Put it in your language.

Hey,
Thanks for the response.
Just so you guys know, My Prof knows me well enough to spot ANYTHING that's not precisely in my own language, so no worries.

Am I correct in my attempt that [tex]T^*[/tex] is a Hom above? I think since no one has said I'm completely wrong that I must be on the right track.

Thanks again,
CC

1. What is an algebraic structure?

An algebraic structure is a set with one or more operations defined on it, which satisfies certain properties. These properties determine how the elements of the set interact with each other under the given operations.

2. What are some examples of algebraic structures?

Some common examples of algebraic structures include groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. These structures have specific properties and operations that make them useful in different areas of mathematics.

3. How do algebraic structures relate to real world applications?

Algebraic structures provide a way to model and analyze real world phenomena, such as physical systems, financial markets, and computer algorithms. By using algebraic structures, we can understand and manipulate these systems in a more organized and efficient manner.

4. What is a homomorphism in algebraic structures?

A homomorphism is a function between two algebraic structures that preserves the structure's operations and properties. This means that the function maps elements of one structure to elements of the other structure in a way that maintains the same relationships between the elements.

5. How can algebraic structures be used to solve problems?

Algebraic structures provide a framework for problem solving by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. By understanding the properties and operations of a given structure, we can manipulate and transform equations to find solutions and make predictions about the system being modeled.