1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Linear Brackets and Integrable Structures.

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let (M,J) be an almost complex manifold and [.,.] be the commutator bracket on vector fields. Show that if the map [itex] v \mapsto [v,w] [/itex] is complex linear then J is integrable.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question essentially just boils down to showing that the Nijenhuis tensor is zero. The curious thing is that when I'm computing the Nihenhuis tensor I always end up getting zero without having to use complex linearity of the bracket. Hence I must be making a trivial mistake, since certainly not all almost-complex manifolds are complex. Indeed, the version of the Nijenhuis tensor I am given is

[tex] N(v,w) = [Jv,Jw] - J[v,Jw] - J[Jv,w] - [v,w] [/tex]
    in which case my calculations simply reveal
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    N(v,w) &= (JvJw-JwJv) - J(vJw - Jw v) - J(Jvw - wJv) - (vw - wv) \\
    &= JvJw - Jw Jv - Jv Jw - wv +vw + Jw Jv - vw + wv \\
    &= 0
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

I figure I must be making a foolish mistake somewhere, but I cannot see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    Nevermind, got it. J is a section of the fibre bundle of almost complex structures over M and so is really only defined fibre-wise. Clearly J may act on the Lie brackets themselves, but is not distributive over the components (since they are not vector fields). The result is quite simple though with complex linearity added in, so the problem is resolved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook