Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All Is Not Well For Walter Reed Outpatients

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    According to an article in the Sunday Washington post conditions for outpatients at the hospital are poor. Once patients no longer need to be hospitalized they are housed in the 200 room building 18.

Surely we can do better than what is described in the Post story. Although this is a military hospital, I have that old gut feeling that political appointees are showing their ineptitude once again in Washington DC.

EDIT Part two of the Post's series.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Don't forget it takes nearly an act of congress to be hospitalized. If you can't fund a war including its inevitable casualties, don't start one. My days serving as a resident at a local VA hospital, aboslutely nightmarish. These guys would show up in the ER, and there was no place to house them, so my job basically amounted to using any ploy possible to get them on the street. Now in some cases, this was justified, but in others I seemed like I was just reinflicting trauma.
  4. Feb 21, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

VA hospitals are just awful. When my sister was getting her psychology degree she had to work with mental patients at the VA hospital.

There is a big difference in how officers and enlisted men get treated.
  5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

Gold Member

The father of a couple of my friends and schoolmates had been a sniper in WWII, and the memories took a heavy toll on him. When his wife (a nurse) would insist that the VA help him out with some medical care, they over-medicated him to the point where he was not a problem and "parked " him until they declared him fit for release. He never got the psychological/psychiatric help or monitoring that he needed, so he was in and out of the hospital, swinging back and forth between psychosis, depression, irrational behavior, etc. One day, he was outside with his deer rifle, and a passing truck driver got on his CB said that he had been shot at. (This guy could hit anything he wanted with a rifle, so it's not likely that there was any threat.) Anyway, the SWAT team moved in, tried to take him out with negotiation, coercion, tear gas, etc, and ultimately the SWAT team's sniper killed him. The official story was that he had fired his rifle at them... I don't know if the VA really could have helped my friends' father or not, but loading him with drugs and sending him back home certainly didn't do the job, and a very nice man's life was sacrificed. When I was younger, he would take me along with his boys to some hunting/fishing cabins that they rented out to the "sports", and we would clean things up, split, and stack firewood and other chores, but there was always time for fun stuff like fishing, campfires, etc, too.
  6. Feb 21, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's part of conducting a war that nobody pays for (at least no one but the military). You have to scrape money from strange places.

Part of Bush's plan to cut the deficit is to cut Veterans Administration funding: Vets Face More Health-Care Cuts. Realistically, most of the funding gets restored (along with other projected cuts) and deficits don't decrease, but a plan to cut the deficit in the future at least looks good today.

Part of keeping deficits at their current levels in spite of tax cuts is to shave money from the Operations and Maintenance budget, the money that pays for training, repair of equipment, and other support for troops: The Smoke and Mirrors in Congress’ Defense Appropriations Bills It becomes nearly impossible to really keep track of the money. A lot of the money cut from O&M is transferred to Emergency Spending to make it look like fiscal responsibility. A lot of the money in O&M is channeled into pork projects for key Congressmen's districts or states. It keeps Congress from complaining about war costs too strongly.

Some people in Congress get upset by this: Don't Mind If I Do. Not too upset, mind you, but at least a little upset.

Most of the wars (or Military Operations Other Than War, as we've only fought undeclared wars since WWII) have had more honest rationales behind them than this one, even if some of the rationales might be questionable. They've at least been conducted with a little more honesty.

Our current war has set a new low for the cynical methods used to justify it and the cynical methods used to fund it and conduct it ever since.
  7. Feb 21, 2007 #6
    I do some volunteer work with local veterans. On several occasions I have given the Patient Advocates Office an ear full. I have also seen vets say "to hell with this" and leave.

The outpatients at Walter Reed can not leave. They are still active duty military. The catch 22 is that they can not leave until their condition improves and the system is hindering their improvement. It is only after a 6 to 10 month disability adjudication process that they will be given a disability rating and turned over to the Veterans Administration.
  8. Feb 21, 2007 #7

Gold Member

The VA puts these poor old WWII vets through seven kinds of hell if they ask for help. My dad and several of his friends have been told "all your records burned in a fire" (St. Louis, I think they told them) as if these old guys have to forgo getting help or accept interminable delays if they can't provide copies of discharge records, etc. It's been 60 years!! You don't tell an 80+ year old veteran to go back home because you didn't properly safeguard his records and they were burned. I don't expect today's vets will be treated one bit better because our government does not have the honesty to provide the level of care that they agreed to. This is but one more argument for universal health coverage - as long as our vets (as well as poor and/or chronically ill people) are priced out of private coverage, they will suffer from inadequate health care and ultimately we will all pay the price.
  9. Mar 5, 2007 #8

Hey wait a minute Walter Reed was scheduled for a 2011 closure in 2005. This would explain the lack of maintenance on trouble plagued building 18 which is just a smaller version of the new hotel mentioned above.

They let one hotel rot while building another with the whole place scheduled for closure in 2011. A lot of military heads are rolling because of poor civilian management.

Just as a side note my best guess by looking at the pictures is that mold infested building 18 is not all that old but was plumbed with polybutylene water lines.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  10. Mar 5, 2007 #9
    Speaking of Democracy Now, heard today another proof of privatization being the enemy of the common man. The outfit who received the contract for
    120M over 5 years to provide support sources for WR was headed by an ex-Halliburton honcho. I'll try to get some more facts unless someone already has a quick link.
  11. Mar 5, 2007 #10
    Mighta known.

12. Mar 5, 2007 #11
    And This

Ok so IAP isn't Haliburton, but they sure are connected.

I wonder what Cheney's stock options are worth by now?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?