Allowed/Forbidden Transition Dipole Moments

In summary, transition dipole moments between different molecular electronic states in diatomic molecules are allowed, but there are no allowed or forbidden transitions between doublet Sigma+ and doublet Sigma- states in heteronuclear diatomic molecules.
sams
Gold Member
Hello Everyone,

Kindly, may anyone please tell me what are the allowed and forbidden transition dipole moments between different molecular electronic states in diatomic molecules?

Thank you so much in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
sams said:
Hello Everyone,

Kindly, may anyone please tell me what are the allowed and forbidden transition dipole moments between different molecular electronic states in diatomic molecules?

Thank you so much in advance...

The basic rule is: |<f|dipole operator|i>|2 < > 0

Where <f| is the final state, |i> is the initial state, and the dipole operator is sandwiched in between.

Starting from this rule, you can use symmetry properties of the different kinds of rovibronic wavefunctions to come up with selection rules. Things like you can only change between certain kinds of electronic states. I.e. you can go from a Sigma state to another Sigma state (the first electronic transition in H2 is like this), but you can't change from a Sigma state to a Delta state. For homonuclear diatomic molecules, you can only have transitions between gerade and ungerade states. Again, the first electronic transition in H2 shows this, as well.

"Allowed" transitions also occur between states of the same spin family. Singlet --> singlet, and triplet --> triplet, but not singlet --> triplet.

The problem with all of these rules is that they assume molecules know about all of our nomenclature for the different states, and obey themselves. The reality is that there are all sorts of perturbations, and the actual states in many molecules are admixtures of different states for which we have a name. I.e. you can see singlet --> triplet transitions in things were the actual states are mixtures of singlet-like and triplet-like basis states. The very strong transition in Hg at 253.7 nm is an example of one of these (1^S --> 3^P).

If you are interested in diatomics, Herzberg's Diatomics is the standard text. A more readable text is the one by Jeff Steinfeld ("Molecules and Radiation").

Note also that there are no allowed or forbidden dipole moments but allowed or forbidden dipole transitions. A dipole transition is forbidden iff the transition dipole moment vanishes.

Actually, I am interested in heteronuclear diatomic molecules. What about the selection rules of heteronuclear diatomic molecules? Is there allowed transitions between doublet Sigma+ and doublet Delta electronic states? In my recent calculations I have obtained such transitions, but no transitions is obtained between doublet Sigma+ and doublet Sigma-!

Heteronuclear diatomic molecules belong to the symmetry group ##C_{\infty v}##. The dipole moment operators transform like x,y and z and you can look up the corresponding representations and characters in a character table for this group.
Given the irreps of the inital and final state, you can check whether the matrix elements transform like the totally symmetric representation.

Thank you so much DrDu and Quantum Defect :smile: for your help and for your kind support...

What are allowed/forbidden transition dipole moments?

Allowed/forbidden transition dipole moments refer to the likelihood of an electron transitioning from one energy level to another. Allowed transitions have a high probability of occurring, while forbidden transitions have a low probability due to certain selection rules.

What are selection rules in transition dipole moments?

Selection rules are a set of principles that govern the allowed and forbidden transitions in atoms or molecules. These rules are based on the conservation of energy, momentum, and parity. They determine which transitions are allowed and which are forbidden based on the properties of the initial and final states.

How are transition dipole moments measured?

Transition dipole moments are measured through spectroscopic techniques, such as absorption, emission, or Raman spectroscopy. These techniques involve exciting the electrons in a sample and measuring the changes in energy levels to determine the dipole moment.

What factors affect the strength of transition dipole moments?

The strength of transition dipole moments is affected by several factors, including the difference in energy levels, the nature of the initial and final states, and the molecular structure. Additionally, the orientation of the transition dipole moment with respect to the electric field also plays a role in its strength.

Why are forbidden transitions important in transition dipole moments?

Forbidden transitions may have a low probability of occurring, but they provide valuable information about the properties of atoms or molecules. By studying the selection rules and the factors that affect the strength of these transitions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the electronic structure and behavior of these systems.