Alpher Bethe Gamow: Factor characterizing the decrease of density with time

In summary, Alpher Bethe Gamow discussed a factor, denoted as f(t), which characterizes the decrease of density with time in the universe. It can be derived from the Friedmann equation, which includes terms for both density and time. However, it should be noted that the model of αβγ is not valid for non-hydrogen/helium elements.
pianoplayer98
Alpher Bethe Gamow: "Factor characterizing the decrease of density with time"

Directly from the article:

http://cache.artofproblemsolving.com/texer/images/c957650eca2c34559b5fd5931bd74440410d6ee3.png

where f(t) is a factor characterizing the decrease of the density with time.

What specifically is this f(t)? Is it just the density of the universe at time t? Where would this be available?

It seems to me that the Friedmann equation is a good place to derive this information, having both a term for density and time. However, I'm very new to cosmology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

By the way, I know that αβγ is not a valid model for non-H/He elements, but I'm just carrying out the calculations myself.

1. What is Alpher Bethe Gamow theory?

The Alpher Bethe Gamow (ABG) theory is a cosmological model proposed in the 1940s by Ralph Alpher, Hans Bethe, and George Gamow. It explains the decrease in density of the universe over time, as well as the observed abundance of light elements.

2. What is the factor characterizing the decrease of density with time in ABG theory?

The factor characterizing the decrease of density with time in ABG theory is known as the scale factor, denoted by the symbol "a". It is a measure of the expansion of the universe and is directly related to the age of the universe.

3. How does the scale factor change with time in ABG theory?

In ABG theory, the scale factor "a" increases with time, indicating that the universe is expanding. This expansion causes the density of matter and radiation in the universe to decrease over time.

4. What is the significance of the ABG theory in modern cosmology?

The ABG theory is considered a milestone in modern cosmology as it provides a framework for understanding the evolution of the universe. It also explains the abundance of light elements, such as hydrogen and helium, which are fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. How does the ABG theory relate to the Big Bang theory?

The ABG theory is a component of the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The ABG theory explains the early stages of the universe, specifically the first few minutes after the Big Bang, when the density was high and the temperature was hot enough for nuclear reactions to occur.