1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative method to the matrix problem?

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all real matrices,X, of the form

[x 0]
    [y z]

such that X2+3X+2I=0

(I is the identity matrix)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only method I know is to work out X2 and then 3X, add to 2I, then equate the corresponding entries with the zero matrix. Have 3 equations with three unknowns and solve. But is there any other method in which I can use to shorten the amount of writing I will have to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If X^2+3X+2I=0, then the minimal polynomial of X divides t^2+3t+2=(t+1)(t+2), and take it from here.

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I was thinking to do something like that, but the identity matrix in it confused me.
    Now I should re-write the equation as

X^2++X+2I^2=(X+I)(X+2I)=0 and go from here right?

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, it depends on what you mean by "go from here"! If you're going to say something like "Then X=-I or X=-2I", then you'll be off the mark. Do you know what a minimal polynomial is?

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes, that is what I thought to do.... No idea what a minimal polynomial is.

7. Oct 24, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, do you know what eigenvalues are, then?

By the way, for matrices, AB=0 doesn't imply that A=0 or B=0. Try to come up with an example of this - and make sure you understand why this happens. In fact, you can have a nonzero matrix A such that A^2=0.

8. Oct 24, 2008 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes,I know what eigenvalues are, and the characteristic polynomial. I am aware the AB=0 doesn't always mean that A=0 or b=0...I always forget this in matrices.

9. Oct 24, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then I guess a shortcut would be to notice that the eigenvalues of a triangular matrix will lie on its diagonal. And because X^2+3X+2I=0, the eigenvalues of X will satisfy the equation t^2+3t+2=0. So this'll give us why x and z will be. To find y you'll just have to do it the long way.

Well come to think of it, this isn't really a shortcut at all.

10. Oct 24, 2008 #9

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I guess I will have to stick with my initial method.
    My math course, doesn't include the topic of e.vectors/values but since I did Further math I just happen to know it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?