1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am i doing this question correctly.

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The integral of [x]+ln( (1+x)/(1-x) ) (lower limit -0.5 and upper limit is 0.5.)
    here [x] show greater integer function means greatest integer less than equal to x. ex [2.3]=0.3,[1.7]=0.7,[-1.4]=0.6 etc.
    //sorry that i don't know how to write it in better way

2. Relevant equations

millions so i can't write all of them here two of them is
    integral of f(x) from a to b =integral of f(a+b-x) from a to b.
    [1-x]=1-[x]
    rest are in your mind.

3. The attempt at a solution

replace x by lower limit+ upper limit-x.
    function will changed into [1-x]+ln( (1-x)/(1+x) )
    replace [1-x] with 1-[x]. after little modification it will something like this I=integral with limits(1) -I
    here I is the integral whose value i want to know.
    finally the answer is 1/2 but this is wrong. correct answer as given in book is -1/2. My question is why my answer is wrong?
    thanks for any kind of help.

vikash chandola
    suport anna hazare(only for indians)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    You have the greatest integer function wrong. example: [2.3]=2
    As for the rest of the problem, I'm not sure how to do it.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{-0.5}^{0.5}\lfloor x \rfloor dx[/itex] should be a piece of cake.
    For -1 ≤ x < 0 , [itex]\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor = -1[/itex].

For 0 ≤ x < 1 , [itex]\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor = 0[/itex].​

For [itex]\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)\,,[/itex] use the rule for the log of a quotient. Then break-up the integral accordingly.

Do you know the anti-derivative of ln(x) ?

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    Oh man. what a foolish work i did. I understand greater integer function as fraction part function. I also applly wrong property that's why i got wrong answer.After thanks you tel me my mistake.

Hey sammy what are you writing. this is seeming lengthy method. see how i solve it. thing i do wrong is understand greatest integer function as fraction part function. So the property [-x]=1-[x] is wrong. Correct one is [-x]=-1-[x]. now i will get correct answer.

anti derivative of ln(x) is xln(x)-x+C

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem has [x]. Why are you working with [-x] ?

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6
    oh one more sorry. Actually the place where i write [1-x] that is [-x] =-1-[x].
    I do this mistake however my trick is correct. thanks for showing me my mistake. If you still say how yo write [-x] then something is wrong. either i am doing one more mistake or you do something wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook