Am I on the right track with Ampere's Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jumbogala
Messages
414
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A wire carries a current of 3 A in the downward direction. What is the magnetic field 2.0 cm away from the wire?


Homework Equations


∫B·dl = µ0I


The Attempt at a Solution


So I pick a circle with radius 2.0 cm to go around the wire, and get

B∫dl = µ0(3 A)

∫dl evaluates to 2pi(0.02 m).

So B = [µ0(3 A) ] / 2*pi*0.02 m?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That works, however the Biot-Savart law is easier to apply here and actually reduces to a formula identical to what you have written in the last line in the case of a long straight wire. B=µ0I/2(pi)r
 
Thank you! I know the Biot-Savart law also works, I just wanted to make sure my concept of Ampere's Law was correct. =)