1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I right or is my book right (Taylor remainder)

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The approximation [tex] e^{x}=1+x+(x^{2}/2) [/tex] is used when [tex] X [/tex] is small estimate the error when [tex]\left|x \right|<0.1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\left|R_{n} \right|<\frac{M(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the Taylor expansion goes to the second power I used the third derivative of [tex]e^{x}[/tex] which is just its self and found the maximum value that it can be between the domain [0,0.1] which is at [tex]e^{0.1}[/tex] then continuing the formula [tex](0.1-0)^{3}[/tex] then i divided it by 3! which gave me an answer of [tex]1.84*10^{-4}[/tex].

My book on the other hand used [tex]3^{0.1}[/tex] instead of [tex]e^{0.1}[/tex] and as a result the answer in the book was larger than my answer. So which answer is the right answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Depends upon what you mean by "estimate". Remember that neither of those answers will be the error- you can't determine the exact error this way. What you are saying is that the error is less than 1.98x10-4 while the text book is saying it is less than a larger value (because e< 3) so both are correct. I don't know if your book has some reason for using "3" rather than "e". e gives a slightly more accurate estimate but they are both estimates.

4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    The only reason I can imagine is that [tex] 3^{0.1} [/tex] is easier to calculate because it's the solution of [tex] x^{10} = 3 [/tex] and a Newton's method iteration would provide an accurate estimation quickly. The assumption, I suppose, is that if you are approximating [tex] e^x [/tex], you don't have the luxury of calculating it explicitly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?