Am I stuck on the wrong path? [Civil Eng vs Elec Eng]

In summary, the speaker studied Civil Engineering but found out they don't enjoy it. They have a strong interest in Electrical Engineering and are determined to learn more about it on their own. They are wondering if there are any areas of EE where their knowledge in CE would be beneficial. One suggestion is to pursue a job at an electric utility company that involves designing power infrastructure and potentially having the company pay for EE courses. This could also expose the speaker to basic EE principles and potentially lead to a career in a mix of civil and electrical engineering.
Losth
Hi! Long story short, I studied Civil E (Structural and Geotechnical), which it turns out I don't like. On the other hand, I found over the years I really like Electrical E. I don't have neither time nor money to go back to school, but I'm determined to learn some of it on my own.

Because I wouldn't want to let my CE degree and experience go to waste, I would like to know whether there are any areas of EE that would benefit from my knowledge in CE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps landing a job with an electric utility designing power line and station structures and foundations , and then have them foot the bill for elec power engineering courses. The CE work will first expose you to some basic EE principles. You may end up liking the CE work in a Electrical field of employment, while educating yourself in EE studies.

That is what I would suggest also. Electric power utility companies certainly have many projects which are a mix of civil and electrical engineering.

1. What is the difference between Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering?

Civil Engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of physical structures like roads, bridges, and buildings. Electrical Engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. How do I know if I am on the wrong path?

If you are feeling unfulfilled or unsatisfied in your current field of study, it may be a sign that you are on the wrong path. You might also find yourself struggling to understand or enjoy the material, or not being able to see a future for yourself in that career.

3. Can I switch from Civil Engineering to Electrical Engineering or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two fields of engineering. However, it may require additional coursework or a change in major. It is important to carefully consider your interests and strengths before making a switch.

4. Which field has better job prospects?

Both Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the current job market and your location. Civil Engineering may have more opportunities in infrastructure development and construction, while Electrical Engineering may have more opportunities in technology and energy industries.

5. What skills are needed for each field?

Civil Engineering requires strong problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as proficiency in math and physics. Electrical Engineering requires a strong understanding of math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Both fields also require strong communication and teamwork skills.