1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I stuck on the wrong path? [Civil Eng vs Elec Eng]

1. Dec 28, 2014 #1
    Hi! Long story short, I studied Civil E (Structural and Geotechnical), which it turns out I don't like. On the other hand, I found over the years I really like Electrical E. I don't have neither time nor money to go back to school, but I'm determined to learn some of it on my own.

Because I wouldn't want to let my CE degree and experience go to waste, I would like to know whether there are any areas of EE that would benefit from my knowledge in CE?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps landing a job with an electric utility designing power line and station structures and foundations , and then have them foot the bill for elec power engineering courses. The CE work will first expose you to some basic EE principles. You may end up liking the CE work in a Electrical field of employment, while educating yourself in EE studies.

4. Dec 28, 2014 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

That is what I would suggest also. Electric power utility companies certainly have many projects which are a mix of civil and electrical engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook