Electrical Engineering or Civil Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's uncertainty about their major in electrical engineering (EE) and their potential interest in civil engineering (CE). They mention their love for math and dislike for physics and their initial interest in renewable energy. They also mention their interest in tangible work and a preference for an office setting. They plan on taking a basic CE course to see if it's a better fit for them.
xlu2
One advice I received on choosing a major is pick what you are good at and what you like while keep in mind what future career you might have. Even though I was just accepted into the EE department after my freshman year, I am still unsure if I really want to do EE.

Would someone please give advice or account of their experiences on CE and EE?

Here is a short description of me. I love math and I am doing a minor in math. In some aspects, math is concrete and logical to me. If I do not get some math concepts but work at it, I would get it eventually. Compared to math, science, especially physics, is not my forte. I self studied AP Bio (5) (not a biology/ person) and AP Physics C: Mechanics (4) in high school. Last semester, I took a E&M class at university and absolutely hated it. Now I am taking a basic course in Circuit Analysis and I worked hours and hours and I still do not get the circuits. Why did I apply for EE? I heard that EE make higher salaries and the job is more likely to be in an office/lab. Moreover, I was interested in renewable energy, specifically thermoelectricity (produce electricity by heat). Given this specific field, I see a research job being the most probable. But now when I stare at the circuit problems, I doubt I have the ability to pursue the EE interest.

Before I got interested into thermoelectricity, I was very interested in civil engineering. I love looking at large structures and scaled models and playing LEGO. (I like tangible stuff and right now, EE circuit diagrams are very abstract to me.) When I was in high school, I joined trebuchet building team and won some prizes in the school district. Another pull factor from CE is that CE get to see their buildings being built. Also, I saw CE drawing diagrams on computer and to me, these diagrams are certainly more interesting than circuits. only downside is that I heard many CE have outdoor work and I do not like being outdoor.

Even though I mentioned EE makes more money, salary is not of any concern to me. I am just looking for a secure job in office setting (occasionally outdoor is fine), with interesting and exciting project, and some people interaction. I am not a people person but I like to work with a small team (of hopefully hard working people).

Since I took Physics E&M and now Circuit Analysis, I am thinking about taking a basic CE course to see if I like the hang of it. Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that very few CEs work on sites or outdoors. My brother is a CE and he works in an office.

1. What is the main difference between Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering?

The main difference between Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering is the focus of their studies. Electrical Engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, while Civil Engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure and buildings.

2. What are the job opportunities for Electrical Engineers and Civil Engineers?

Both Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. Electrical Engineers can work in various industries such as power, telecommunications, and electronics, while Civil Engineers can work in areas such as construction, transportation, and environmental engineering.

3. Which engineering field has better career prospects?

Both Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering have excellent career prospects. However, the demand for Electrical Engineers is expected to increase due to the rapid advancements in technology, while the demand for Civil Engineers is expected to grow due to the need for infrastructure development and maintenance.

4. What skills are required for a career in Electrical Engineering or Civil Engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in Electrical Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, and attention to detail. For a career in Civil Engineering, skills such as project management, critical thinking, and communication are essential.

5. Which engineering field is more challenging?

Both Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering have their unique challenges. Electrical Engineering requires a deep understanding of complex mathematical and scientific concepts, while Civil Engineering requires strong problem-solving skills and the ability to navigate various environmental and safety factors. Ultimately, the level of challenge can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests.