Should I pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering?

In summary, your dilemma is that you have a lot of experience in environmental engineering, but not a lot of experience in civil engineering.
SchwanMan
I would like some feedback as to whether or not it would be worthwhile to obtain a masters degree in Civil Engineering. My current situation may (or may not) be unique.

I graduated in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering. Upon graduation, I obtained my E.I.T., and after about one year later, I landed a job as a CE doing highway design for a consulting firm. I worked there just a little over one year, and then switched into Environmental. My reasons for switching to Environmental were a) I wanted to broaden my experience to what I thought was the future, and b) I was dissatisfied with the direction my company was going.

So the last 6 years I worked for an environmental consulting company as well as an environmental engineer for the state. Last year (2013) I obtained my P.E. license in Civil/Transportation. The reason I chose to sit for the civil/transportation P.E. exam is that I realize it is truly my passion. Although I have learned a lot in the environmental realm, what truly makes me happy is doing civil/design work. I miss the creativity.

For the last year, I have been (unsucessfully) looking to get back into Civil. I know that the job market is not the greatest, but I can't help but wonder if despite my P.E. license, I am an undesirable candidate due to the fact that most of my experience lies within environmental. I intend on keeping at the job searches/applications, but I am wondering if I need a new approach - Graduate school maybe?

So it comes to my question: Is it worth going to grad school to obtain a masters degree in Civil Engineering? Would this "refresh" my resume and give me a 2nd chance to re-enter the CE realm? Does a masters degree even mean anything to most employers? Or would I be seen as simply overqualified?

Physics news on Phys.org
SchwanMan said:
I would like some feedback as to whether or not it would be worthwhile to obtain a masters degree in Civil Engineering. My current situation may (or may not) be unique.

I graduated in 2005 with a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering. Upon graduation, I obtained my E.I.T., and after about one year later, I landed a job as a CE doing highway design for a consulting firm. I worked there just a little over one year, and then switched into Environmental. My reasons for switching to Environmental were a) I wanted to broaden my experience to what I thought was the future, and b) I was dissatisfied with the direction my company was going.

So the last 6 years I worked for an environmental consulting company as well as an environmental engineer for the state. Last year (2013) I obtained my P.E. license in Civil/Transportation. The reason I chose to sit for the civil/transportation P.E. exam is that I realize it is truly my passion. Although I have learned a lot in the environmental realm, what truly makes me happy is doing civil/design work. I miss the creativity.

For the last year, I have been (unsucessfully) looking to get back into Civil. I know that the job market is not the greatest, but I can't help but wonder if despite my P.E. license, I am an undesirable candidate due to the fact that most of my experience lies within environmental. I intend on keeping at the job searches/applications, but I am wondering if I need a new approach - Graduate school maybe?

So it comes to my question: Is it worth going to grad school to obtain a masters degree in Civil Engineering? Would this "refresh" my resume and give me a 2nd chance to re-enter the CE realm? Does a masters degree even mean anything to most employers? Or would I be seen as simply overqualified?
The fact that you already have a BSCE and a PE is a plus, but structural design firms are not particularly interested in recent or not recent grads who focused on environmental or transportation engineering in their studies or work experience, so I understand your dilemma. Did you take structural and foundation deign courses when you were in college, beyond any basic requirements? Getting a masters won't hurt, but you could find it tough without a good background in design. A PhD might make you over qualified for a non research design position, but a masters won't and will give you likely a higher start salary. And the employer will appreciate your commitment. You are still however at a disadvantage against someone with 6 years structural experience with a PE. Masters courses in advanced structural design and analysis might be difficult without a good structural background though. Have you taken courses in foundations, steel design, and concrete design?
EDIT: I think I mistakenly assumed you wanted to get into civil structural design but rereading your post, it seems you want to get back onto civil transportation design. If that's the case, heck, you do have the BS and the PE and a years experience in the field, so I would think you are quite marketable even without the masters , although you may not be able to command a high salary. Getting a masters will still not get you the experience, so you'd be slightly better off with it, but not greatly so. I believe there are a number of firms that specialize in both transportation and environmental engineering, so you should check those out, and keep trying.

Last edited:
This seems like good advice, thank you. Do you know of any firms off the top of your head which specialize in transportation and environmental? It seems Langan has a lot of job posts like this, but so far I have not gotten any response for my resume.

SchwanMan said:
This seems like good advice, thank you. Do you know of any firms off the top of your head which specialize in transportation and environmental? It seems Langan has a lot of job posts like this, but so far I have not gotten any response for my resume.
It is mostly out of my field, but CH2M HILL and AECOM are the biggies. There must be countless other smaller firms.
Don't wait too long for a response for your resume. If you haven't heard in a couple of weeks, give them a call and inquire...Its ok to be an occasional pain in the butt sometimes...good luck.

I cannot make a definitive decision for you on whether or not you should pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering. However, I can provide some feedback and considerations for you to take into account in making your decision.

Firstly, it is important to assess your current situation and goals. Do you feel that obtaining a Masters degree in Civil Engineering aligns with your career goals and aspirations? Will it provide you with the skills, knowledge, and opportunities you are seeking?

Additionally, consider the current job market and demand for civil engineers with a Masters degree. Research job postings and speak with professionals in the field to gain insight into the value placed on a Masters degree in Civil Engineering by employers.

You also mentioned feeling dissatisfied with your current experience in environmental engineering and missing the creativity of civil design work. Pursuing a Masters degree may give you the opportunity to focus on and strengthen your skills and passion in civil engineering.

On the other hand, it is important to weigh the potential costs and time commitment of obtaining a Masters degree. Will it require you to take time away from work and potentially impact your current job and income? Will the cost of tuition and other expenses be worth the potential benefits?

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering is a personal one that should be based on your individual goals, aspirations, and circumstances. It may be helpful to speak with a career counselor or mentor to discuss your options and determine the best path for you.

1. Should I pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering if I already have a Bachelor's degree in the same field?

It depends on your career goals and personal interests. Pursuing a Masters in Civil Engineering can deepen your knowledge and skills in a specific area of the field, making you more competitive in the job market. It can also open up opportunities for higher-level positions and higher salaries. However, if you are satisfied with your current job and do not have a specific career goal that requires a Masters degree, it may not be necessary.

2. Will a Masters in Civil Engineering guarantee me a higher salary?

Having a Masters degree can make you a more competitive candidate for higher-paying positions in the field. However, salary is also influenced by factors such as experience, location, and industry demand. A Masters degree alone may not guarantee a higher salary, but it can increase your chances of obtaining a higher-paying job.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Civil Engineering?

The duration of a Masters in Civil Engineering program varies depending on the school and program. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time program. Part-time programs may take longer, typically 2-3 years. Some schools also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in as little as 1 year.

4. Can I pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering if my Bachelor's degree is in a different field?

Yes, you can still pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering even if your Bachelor's degree is in a different field. However, you may be required to take prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary foundation for the program. It is best to check with the specific program and school for their requirements.

5. Will a Masters in Civil Engineering help me if I want to switch to a different field?

It depends on the field you want to switch to. A Masters in Civil Engineering can provide you with transferable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management, which can be valuable in various industries. However, if you want to switch to a completely different field, you may need to gain additional knowledge and skills through other means, such as internships or certifications.