Civil Engineering vs Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering, with the speaker expressing interest in switching from Civil to Mechanical. They enjoy learning about the mechanics behind physical laws and prefer a desk job, but are open to working outside and traveling. They also seek advice on suitable job options in both fields. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding computational fluid dynamics jobs in North America and Europe.
LeFerret
I'm sure these two have been compared before, but I'm wondering if anyone could grant me insight on what the Mechanical Engineering/Civil Engineering industry is like. I know Mechanical Engineering is much more broad, but how is the work on a day to day basis? What is the work on a day to day basis for a CE a well?

I have little clue what both of the industries are like. I'm currently a second year Civil Engineering student thinking of switching to Mechanical. I am unsure if Civil is the right path for me because I haven't really experienced it at all, I've only taken Elementary and Advanced Surveying which I honestly dreaded going to class everyday. I'm currently taking Strengths of Materials and Dynamics and I have to say I really enjoyed these subjects along with Statics. I really enjoy learning the mechanics behind physical laws, crunching numbers, and taking apart/putting things together in the problems.
I enjoy a desk job although I wouldn't mind working outside and travelling, however I would like to be able to provide for a family as well be able to spend a good amount of time with them. I like consistency and mathematical analysis. Any advice on what prospective jobs would be suitable for me in both fields would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to ask me more about my personality if more information is needed to help determine what seems more suitable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was not aware there was a pinned thread similar to this one already. I am going to read that, any suggestions/insight will still be appreciated though!

One of the possible disciplines in Mechanical is Fluid Dynamics. This can be experimental or computer simulations. It is not easy to find a computational fluid dynamics job in North America/Europe, as coding jobs are being outsourced. This is true for even quite good engineers with M.Sc. or PhDs
Unsure of the situation in other Mechanical subdisciplines.

All the best!

1. What is the main difference between Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

The main difference between Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering is the focus of their respective fields. Civil Engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of structures and infrastructure such as buildings, bridges, and roads. Mechanical Engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems and tools.

2. Which field has better job prospects: Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

Both Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering have excellent job prospects, but the demand for each varies depending on location and industry. Civil Engineers are in high demand in areas with a high population and growing infrastructure needs, while Mechanical Engineers are needed in industries such as manufacturing, energy, and transportation.

3. Is it possible to switch from Civil Engineering to Mechanical Engineering or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from Civil Engineering to Mechanical Engineering or vice versa, but it may require additional education and training. Depending on the specific courses taken in each field, some credits may transfer, making the transition smoother.

4. What are some common skills required for both Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Some common skills required for both Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering include strong math and science abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex technical information. Both fields also require strong communication and teamwork skills.

5. Which field offers a higher salary: Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

The salary for both Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and industry. However, on average, Mechanical Engineers tend to have a slightly higher median salary compared to Civil Engineers. It's essential to research the specific job market and industry to determine which field may offer a higher salary in a particular area.