Am I using the right limits on this triple integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a coordinate transformation and the resulting Jacobian, as well as the correct limits for an integration involving r, a, and p. The limits for the integration are determined geometrically and are correctly stated by the friend.
oliverkahn
Let:

\begin{align}
r&=\sqrt{a^2 + p^2 - 2ap \cos \theta}\\
s&=a\\
t&=p\\
f(r) &= \text{continuous function of } r\\
g(s) &= \text{continuous function of } s\\
\end{align}

Consider the expression:

\begin{align}
\int_{q'}^q \int_{b'}^b g(s)\ \int_{s-t}^{s+t} f(r)\ dr\ ds\ dt\
\end{align}

We next have to change the variables from ##(r,s,t)## to ##(\theta, a, p)##. The Jacobian of the coordinate transformation (after computing) is:

##J= \dfrac{\partial r}{\partial \theta}=\dfrac{a\ p\ \sin\theta}{r}##

Thus our new function becomes ##J\ f(r) =\dfrac{a\ p\ \sin\theta}{r} f(r)##

Question:

One of my friends said that the limits of the integration would be as follows:

\begin{align}
\int_{q'}^q \int_{b'}^b g(a)\ \int_{0}^{\pi} \dfrac{a\ p\ \sin\theta}{r} f(r) \ d \theta\ da\ dp\
\end{align}

Is he correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at it geometrically, r, a, p are lengths of three sides of a triangle, with r opposite ##\theta##. The limits on r are for the two other sides subtracting or adding, which is equivalent to ##\theta## being 0 or ##\pi##. Your friend is correct.

Likes oliverkahn and berkeman

1. What are the limits of a triple integral?

The limits of a triple integral refer to the boundaries within which the integration will take place. They are typically defined by the range of values for each variable in the triple integral.

2. How do I determine the correct limits for a triple integral?

The correct limits for a triple integral can be determined by examining the given function and the region of integration. The limits should cover the entire volume of the region.

3. What happens if I use the wrong limits for a triple integral?

If the wrong limits are used for a triple integral, the result of the integration will be incorrect. It is important to carefully determine the correct limits to ensure an accurate solution.

4. Can I change the order of the limits in a triple integral?

Yes, the order of the limits can be changed in a triple integral as long as the boundaries of the region of integration are still covered. However, changing the order of the limits may make the integration more complicated.

5. Are there any shortcuts for determining the limits of a triple integral?

There are no shortcuts for determining the limits of a triple integral. It is important to carefully analyze the given function and region of integration to determine the correct limits.