Induction stovetop design: am I using these equations correctly?

In summary, to achieve an effective induction stovetop with a power of 1000W, the energy stored in the inductor needs to be 0.5*I^2*L, which is the same energy transferred to the pot when on the stove. This can be achieved by using a 60Hz wall outlet as the power source, with a current of 0.2A. To calculate the required inductance, the formula L = μ0*N^2*A / ι is used, which results in a ratio of N^2*A / ι = 952. To meet this ratio, a coil with 10 turns would require an area 10 times the length. However, given that a wall
nagyn
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to make an induction stovetop using some magnet wire. I understand how induction stovetops work but am less confident on the math I've done to design one. Can you double-check that I'm approaching this correctly?
I've been told an effective induction stovetop needs to deliver about 1000W of power. I have magnet wire that can tolerate at most about 0.2A of current, and was planning on using a 60Hz wall outlet as my source (obviously I'll need to bring down the outlet current quite a bit).

So the energy stored in an inductor is given by:

E = 0.5*I2*L

Which I assume would be roughly the same energy transferred to the pot when on the stove. So the power delivered would be

P = E / t = E*(60 Hz)

Then substituting P = 1000W and I = 0.2A I get that L = 1.2mH.

Then given that L = μ0*N2*A / ι , I find that I need a ratio close to

N2*A / ι = 952

So if I had a coil with 10 turns, the area would need to be about 10 times the length to deliver the power I need.

Am I doing this right? Did I mess up anywhere in my understanding?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power in Watts = Volts * Amps
Watts / Amps = Volts
1000 / 0.2 = 5000V.

:cry: Sorry, I don't know of anyplace that has 5000 Volts at their wall outlets.

1. How does induction stovetop design work?

Induction stovetops use electromagnetic induction to heat up the cooking vessel directly, instead of using a heating element like traditional stovetops. A coil of copper wire underneath the ceramic surface creates an alternating magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the metal of the cooking vessel. This current creates heat, which is transferred to the food.

2. What equations are used in induction stovetop design?

The main equation used in induction stovetop design is Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux over time. Other equations that may be used include Ohm's law, which relates voltage, current, and resistance, and the power equation, which relates power, voltage, and current.

3. How is power controlled in induction stovetops?

Power in induction stovetops is controlled by changing the frequency of the alternating current in the coil. This changes the rate at which the magnetic field is changing, and therefore, the amount of heat generated in the cooking vessel. Some stovetops also use pulse width modulation to control the power output.

4. Are there any safety concerns with induction stovetop design?

Induction stovetops are generally considered to be safer than traditional stovetops because the cooking surface itself does not get hot. However, there are some concerns about electromagnetic radiation and interference with pacemakers or other electronic devices. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use caution when using an induction stovetop.

5. How efficient are induction stovetops compared to traditional stovetops?

Induction stovetops are generally more efficient than traditional stovetops because they heat the cooking vessel directly, rather than heating the air and then transferring the heat to the vessel. This also allows for more precise temperature control and faster heating times. However, the overall efficiency will depend on factors such as the type of cookware used and the specific design of the stovetop.