1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I wrong with my calculations or using wrong formula?

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a radiator through which water is passed at 90 degrees Celsius, the air speed as it passes through the radiator is 4ms-1. Water temperature difference between inlet and outlet of radiator is 28.33 K. Temperature difference between air before and after passing through radiator is 29K. Area of radiator core is 2.88 x 10^-2 m^2.

2. Relevant equations
    Equation for heat transfer = W*Cp*ΔT where W is weighted flow and Cp is specific heat capacity of fluid.

For water heat transfer is = WCpΔT = QwpwCpΔT, where Qw is volumetric flow rate of water, pw is density of water and Cp is specific heat capacity of water at 90 degrees celcius.

so Qw = 2.5 x 10-5 m3s-1
    pw = 1.0 kgm-3
    Cp = 4.21
    ΔT = 28.33 K

For air heat transfer is = WCpΔT = = Ar v CpΔT, where Ar is the surface area of radiator core, v is the velocity of air as it passes through the radiator core, Cp is the specific heat of air

so Ar = 2.88 x 10^-2
    v = 4.0 ms-1
    Cp = 1.0
    ΔT = 29.0 K

3. The attempt at a solution

Heat transfer of water = 2.98 x 10^-3 kWatts
    Heat transfer of air = 3.34 kWatts.

why am I getting such a huge difference between heat transfer of the two fluids ? are my equations wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the density of water?

4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    That water flow rate seems very low. I don't see a water flow rate in the problem statement. What is the actual problem statement?

Chet

5. May 3, 2014 #4
    thanks for your replies, I figured out I was using the wrong density of water, it should be 1000 instead of 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted