Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ambient air has an odor after removing respirator

1. Jun 2, 2016 #1
    I have noticed that after wearing a respirator (dual-cartridge activated charcoal by 3M) for an hour or so, when I remove it, the ambient air smells slightly sweet, almost like slight hint of ozone. After a little while without it, the smell seems to "go back to neutral" or nothing unique. I realize there is ozone in the air, but am surprised it'd be enough to smell, and it may not be ozone at all. However, I am assuming it is some kind of an "old-nose" type of thing, the respirator blocks all odors for an extended period, and then I am suddenly exposed to it again... maybe??? Anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, it's not that the normal air has changed in any way obviously, it's that your nose sensitivity has changed slightly and your experience w/ that might differ from someone else's. That is, what you are experiencing might not be the same thing someone else does.

4. Jun 7, 2016 #3
    I am not a biology person, but looking at this from a Physics point of view, you nose is a collection of sensors.
    The respirator filters out things in the air that would normally send signals to your brain, which filters
    out a signal from all the noise.
    Removing the respirator gives you a burst of what is now a "unique" smell, which after several minuets,
    is no longer unique, and so you brain moves it to the noise category.

5. Jun 8, 2016 #4
    When I go for a walk in the park, I notice that after walking through a natural area with no cars, I can clearly smell the exhaust from the next car that I encounter with unusual pungency.

It's probably the same effect: after smelling pure air your nose is primed to detect unclean air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted