Explore American Education Bias: Test Your Knowledge of Yuri Gagarin

• Thread starter khemix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias
In summary, Yuri Gagarin is a well-known Russian astronaut who was the first human to journey into space. Three Soviet pilots died in attempts to achieve the same feat before him. Geller was not the first man to fly in space, as three other Soviet pilots died in attempts to do so before him.

Do you know who Yuri Gagarin is?

• Yes

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Phrak said:
This is entirely different! The OP question was about a name. What can you tell me about the man Yuri Gararin or John Glenn, other than he was the first to do this or that.

Their accomplishment was the most interesting thing about their life (although Glenn did have a significant political life after his astronaut days).

Lisa Nowak is more interesting than either, even though her accomplishments are slightly more dubious.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm American and I learned who Yuri is in school...
I don't really understand the point of this. In order to demonstrate any appreciable 'american bias' you'd need a whole host of questions, not just a single one.

BobG said:
Their accomplishment was the most interesting thing about their life (although Glenn did have a significant political life after his astronaut days).

Lisa Nowak is more interesting than either, even though her accomplishments are slightly more dubious.

I've always wondered about Glenn. Remember when all the star-struck talking heads hyped the geriatric space mission? I still what to know what Glenn traded for his last junket to orbit. Or was it a happy coincidence, where political clout and and an honest scientific research program just happened to coincide?

Of course I know! The guy who bends spoons with mind powers, right? :smile:

On a side note, he made his flight during a time the US and the Soviet Union were not getting along. In effect, the media didn't make a big deal of him so teachers today don't mention him much themselves. Different story for Armstrong though.

Back