1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs American student going to UK for PhD.

  1. Jul 21, 2012 #1

    I am entering my last year of the BS in Physics program. I am looking at graduate schools around the US for PhD opportunities in optics and applied optics.

    I have never had the time to travel and I would love to go to the UK for a PhD. I am having a tough time understanding the system and what degree I would need to obtain here in order to enter a PhD program in the UK. Here's what I have gathered:

    - a typical 4 year degree program ends with a masters degree
    - a phd doesn't require coursework

    I am also wondering about stipends and funding, as this would be necessary for me to live. In the US i know that graduate students are often given TA jobs and paid as well as given health insurance in some cases.

    Somebody please help me out or point me toward a good resource where I can educate myself!

    P.S. Does anyone know a UK school with a cold atomic vapor research group?

    Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2
    I don't know anything about the physics departments over here because I'm not a Physicist and I'm not a PhD student ( I've actually just finished the first year of an undergrad degree ), what I do know however is that there is virtually no full PhD funding for internationals over here.You can still get a TA or RA post and get money to help you maintain yourself though.
  4. Jul 22, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the reply, and good luck on your degree
  5. Jul 22, 2012 #4
    Use "www.findaphd.com" - I saw funding at QMUL for some applied physics PhD. Was available to non-EU students too.

    I actually found this website here.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook