Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    "Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys"

Hello all,

In a project in which I'm looking to endeavor, I have a need for a material with high magnetic permeability and high electrical resistivity. In beginning my research, I came across this in Wikipedia:

"One can also make amorphous (non-crystalline) ferromagnetic metallic alloys by very rapid quenching (cooling) of a liquid alloy. These have the advantage that their properties are nearly isotropic (not aligned along a crystal axis); this results in low coercivity, low hysteresis loss, high permeability, and high electrical resistivity. A typical such material is a transition metal-metalloid alloy, made from about 80% transition metal (usually Fe, Co, or Ni) and a metalloid component (B, C, Si, P, or Al) that lowers the melting point."

This material sounds like a perfect fit for my project, with the added bonus of low hysteresis loss. Does anyone know of any commercially available material that fits this description?

I've located a name for these materials, "soft ferrites." Also, manganese-zinc and nickel-zinc seem to be two available such compounds. Does anyone know of a supplier that would sell something like this in raw form, like in a sheet or rod?
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Re: "Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys"

You're right, the materials you are searching for are called ferrites. If you Google "ferrites", you will see many manufacturers of these materials in a variety of shapes and sizes.
  4. Apr 3, 2010 #3
    Re: "Amorphous Ferromagnetic Metallic Alloys"

I believe you are talking about METGLAS. www.metglas.com

Did research on metglas about 10 years ago, and the conclusion was:
    They give you all the advantages about metglas, but don't give you the disadvantages.
    Metglas is very stiff and when layers are made from it, there are lots of air spaces.
    On a volume basis, some nickel alloys have better characteristics than metglas.
    Metglas is very difficult to work with. Sharp edges and very thin.

In the distant past have used ferrites made by Ceramic Magnetics www.cmi-ferrite.com
    with good results.

Ferrites are completely different from metglas.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook