Amount of charge flowing through a resistor?

In summary, we discussed the amount of charge flowing through a resistor, which is determined by the current and time. We also clarified that power is not the same as resistance or voltage, and is instead calculated using current and resistance. The correct calculation for power dissipated in the resistor is current squared multiplied by resistance.
druuuuuuuunnk
Amount of charge flowing through a resistor?

the current through a resistor is 3 mA. What charge will flow through it in 200 seconds?

if the resistor has a resistance of 2.0 kΩ what will be the power dissipated in it?

for the first one, i have no idea. i can't seem to find any formula that is relavent to this so I am guess the answer is simple but I am missing a vital piece of information that would link the dots.

for the second one i was thinking the power disippated in the resistor would be the same as the resistance, becuase the resistance is stopping anything above 2.0 V to enter the resistor?

any help is appriated, this is for my exam tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org

druuuuuuuunnk said:
for the first one, i have no idea. i can't seem to find any formula that is relavent to this so I am guess the answer is simple but I am missing a vital piece of information that would link the dots.
What's the definition of current?

for the second one i was thinking the power disippated in the resistor would be the same as the resistance, becuase the resistance is stopping anything above 2.0 V to enter the resistor?
No, power is not the same as resistance. But the power dissipated depends on the current and the resistance. (Look it up!)

Doc Al said:
What's the definition of current?

"Electrical current is a measure of the amount of electrical charge transferred per unit time. It represents the flow of electrons through a conductive material.
Current is a scalar quantity (though in circuit analysis, the direction of current is relevant). The SI unit of electrical current is the ampere, defined as 1 coulomb/second"

so its 600 coulombs

im still confused about power, I've tried looking it up but it doesn't make any sense, is it the same as voltage?

so V=IxR

meaning 3 mA x 2 kΩ giving me 6 Volts that are being dissapated in the resistor

druuuuuuuunnk said:
"Electrical current is a measure of the amount of electrical charge transferred per unit time. It represents the flow of electrons through a conductive material.
Current is a scalar quantity (though in circuit analysis, the direction of current is relevant). The SI unit of electrical current is the ampere, defined as 1 coulomb/second"
Current = Charge/Time, thus Charge = Current * Time.

so its 600 coulombs
Redo that calculation.

im still confused about power, I've tried looking it up but it doesn't make any sense, is it the same as voltage?
No. Read: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepow.html#c2"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok so, to find the charge in 200 seconds. I multiply 3mA by 200 because charge = current*time

Giving me 600A ??

And for the second part I use Power = voltage * current

So the power dissipated in the resistor = 600 (current) * 2 (resistance) is this wrong ?

Actually for the second part, I'm meant to use power = current squared * resistance. So I'd get 720,000

druuuuuuuunnk said:
Ok so, to find the charge in 200 seconds. I multiply 3mA by 200 because charge = current*time

Giving me 600A ??
Careful: mA means milli-Amps = 10-3 Amps

(And the charge would be in Coulombs, not Amps.)

Same issue with your power calculation.

Ok, cheers mate!

1. What is the unit of measurement for the amount of charge flowing through a resistor?

The unit of measurement for charge is coulomb (C). This is the same unit used to measure the charge on an electron or proton.

2. How is the amount of charge flowing through a resistor calculated?

The amount of charge flowing through a resistor can be calculated using the formula Q=I*t, where Q represents charge (in coulombs), I represents current (in amperes), and t represents time (in seconds).

3. Does the amount of charge flowing through a resistor change over time?

Yes, the amount of charge flowing through a resistor can change over time if the current or time changes. For example, if the current increases, the amount of charge flowing through the resistor will also increase.

4. Can the amount of charge flowing through a resistor be negative?

No, the amount of charge flowing through a resistor cannot be negative. Charge is a scalar quantity and only has a positive value. A negative charge would indicate an opposite direction of flow.

5. Is the amount of charge flowing through a resistor affected by the resistance of the material?

Yes, the amount of charge flowing through a resistor is affected by the resistance of the material. A higher resistance will result in a lower current and therefore a lower amount of charge flowing through the resistor.