Charge flowing through/across a Capacitor?

In summary, the given conversation discusses the question of what fraction of the charge will flow across the gap of a capacitor charged to 250V in 1 minute. The solution involves calculating the resistance and current using the given information, and then finding the charge per second using the correct unit conversion.
Miller1625

Homework Statement

Dry air has a resistivity of about 3*10^13 Ωm. A capacitor has square plates 10cm on a side separated by 1.2mm of dry air. The capacitor is charged to 250V. Assuming the potential difference does not change as the charge flows, what fraction of the charge will flow across the gap in 1 minute?

Homework Equations

C = Q/V, ρ = E/J, J = I/A = n*q*v, V = (ρ*L*I)/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a capacitance using ε, area and plate separation, multiplied this capacitance by voltage and then divided this found charge by the time period - but I strong feeling that I am on the incorrect path altogether.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miller1625 said:
divided this found charge by the time period
What does that give you?
Miller1625 said:
feeling that I am on the incorrect path altogether
Have you omitted some of the information you were given?

Bystander said:
What does that give you?

That gave me 3.07*10^-8 C/s.

Have you omitted some of the information you were given?

No, I wrote out the exact question with all given information.

The air between the plates has a resistivity. That means it forms a resistor between the plates. They're asking about the resulting leakage current, and how much charge flows over the given time period.

So, I calculated a resistance and then current from this and the voltage contained in the capacitor to get the Energy per second. But I need charge per second. What can I do?

Attachments

• 1425663437464.jpg
    1425663437464.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 472
Your resistance value is not correct as your area value is not right. (10 cm)2 is not a square meter.

The above error means that your current value is off by a few orders of magnitude.

Current divided by time is not energy. What does the Ampere unit represent?

Ah, I should have converted units first. My bad. That fixes the resistance. And then Current is Charge/Second. Thank you, I should have the correct answer now!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two parallel plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, one plate accumulates positive charges while the other accumulates negative charges.

2. How does charge flow through a capacitor?

Charge does not flow through a capacitor, but rather it accumulates on the plates. When a capacitor is connected to a power source, the voltage causes a build-up of charge on the plates. This charge remains stored until the capacitor is discharged.

3. What is the role of the dielectric in a capacitor?

The dielectric is the insulating material between the plates of a capacitor. It acts as a barrier, preventing the flow of charge between the plates. The type of dielectric used can affect the capacitance and other properties of a capacitor.

4. How does the size of a capacitor affect the flow of charge?

The size of a capacitor, specifically the distance between the plates, affects the amount of charge that can be stored. A larger distance between the plates means a larger area for charge to accumulate, resulting in a higher capacitance. This also affects the rate at which the capacitor can charge and discharge.

5. Can a capacitor store an unlimited amount of charge?

No, a capacitor has a maximum capacity for storing charge. Once it reaches this capacity, it cannot store any more charge and is considered fully charged. Attempting to add more charge can damage the capacitor or cause it to fail.