Ampere's law and induced current

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnetic field and force on a rectangular loop carrying current, and the net torque on the loop. It is determined that the magnetic field is circular around the wire, and the force on the top and bottom sections of the loop will cancel out. The net torque is found to be zero as the forces on each section of the loop are parallel with the radius, resulting in a sine of 0 and a torque of 0.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=248bebc91e160ebfb2d6ecd9b30a5d9e.png

Homework Equations

∫BdL = μI

The Attempt at a Solution

a) the magnetic field is a circle around the wire so the length of the path is the circumference of the circle which is 2πr

∫BdL = BL = μI
B(2πr) = μI
B = μI/2πr
in this problem it is into the page (right hand rule)

b) The force on the top part of the rectangle will be down and the bottom part it will be up but they will cancel because the directions are opposite and B will be the same at each point.
The net force on the rectangle will be the sum of the force on the left part and the right part. The force on the left part will be to the right (F1) and the force on the right part will be to the left (F2)
so F = F1 - F2
F = ILB1- ILB2
the length is the same so
F = IL(B1-B2) = IL(μI/2πr1 - μI/2πr2) = I^2Lμ/2π(1/r1 - 1/r2)
r1 = .02m r2 = .05 m I = 6 A L = .1 m
F = (36)(.1)μ/2π(1/.02 - 1/.05) = (3.6)(30)μ/2π (to the right)

c) I think the net torque is 0 but I am not sure. I think it is because they are on the same plane so sinθ = 0 ?

Attachments

• problem 1.png
    problem 1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 587
Likes Jack2
Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:
c) I think the net torque is 0 but I am not sure. I think it is because they are on the same plane so sinθ = 0 ?
Good on parts a and b. On part c they did not specify the axis about which torque is to be determined. I would guess they meant the wire.
So torque is developed in one angular direction by the outside section of the loop and in the other by the inside section. What are those torques?
(Remember, torque is a vector so your answer should include the direction of net torque, e.g. by use of the appropriate unit vector.)

Torque is rFsinθ where r is the distance from the axis, F is the force and θ is the angle between them. The top and bottom sections of the loops torques will again cancel.
for the left section the F and r are parallel so sinθ is 0 and the torque is 0. for the right section F is to the left and is again parallel with r so the torque would be 0?

toothpaste666 said:
Torque is rFsinθ where r is the distance from the axis, F is the force and θ is the angle between them. The top and bottom sections of the loops torques will again cancel.
for the left section the F and r are parallel so sinθ is 0 and the torque is 0. for the right section F is to the left and is again parallel with r so the torque would be 0?

You are correct. I got confused on the direction of F. o:)

Last edited:

1. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor and the current itself. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's law used to calculate the magnetic field?

Ampere's law can be used to calculate the magnetic field by integrating the product of the current and the length element along a closed loop. The result of this integration is known as the line integral of the magnetic field and is denoted by ∮B⃗ · dl⃗. This value is equal to the current enclosed by the loop multiplied by the permeability of the medium.

3. What is meant by induced current?

Induced current refers to the flow of electric charge that occurs when there is a change in the magnetic field through a conductor. This change in the magnetic field can be caused by a changing current, a moving magnet, or a changing electric field. According to Faraday's law, the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

4. How is induced current related to Ampere's law?

Induced current is related to Ampere's law through Faraday's law of induction. This law states that the voltage induced in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop. Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field, which in turn can be used to determine the rate of change of the magnetic flux and therefore the magnitude of the induced current.

5. What are some applications of Ampere's law and induced current?

Ampere's law and induced current have many applications in everyday life and in various fields of science and technology. Some examples include electric motors, generators, transformers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in the design of electronic devices such as speakers and headphones.