Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplifier negitive feedback capacitor and resistor in paralell

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    ok so if we have an amplifier with direct negative feedback we have a voltage follower

if we put a resistor between that inverting input pin and ground, we can do these things:

if we put another resistor between the output and the inverting input we can adjust the gain

if, instead, we use a capacitor between the the output and the inverting input we can get an integrator

im looking at a schematic for a Mass Flow Controller right now that, instead of that resistor or that capacitor between the output and the inverting input, we have both a resistor and a capacitor, in parallel, between the output and the inverting input. what does that do and how can i measure what it does?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. What is the problem with having *just* a capacitor as the feedback? What would happen if there is an offset, and that keeps getting integrated?

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

The capacitor has more effect at high frequencies.

Capacitors have less reactance as the frequency rises, so it is like having a smaller resistance there.

This means the amplifier would have less gain at high frequencies than at lower frequencies.

The setup you describe was not a voltage follower, though. It is an amplifier with reducing gain at higher frequencies.

The resistor sets a limit to the gain at low frequencies, otherwise the amplifier could become unstable.

Testing it is easy. Just apply a signal to the input. Measure the output.
    Gain = Output / input.
    Do this at different frequencies.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Jun 12, 2009 #4
    You might try plotting the phase and gain of the amplifier versus frequency using a polar plot. Obviously they are limiting the gain at higher frequencies. Can you find the roll off frequency? Why do you think they chose that frequency?

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5
    As you point out, a capacitor C from the output back to the inverting input is an integrator. If there is a resistor R1 in parallel with the capacitor, it is a leaky integrator with a decay time constant R1C. If you have an input resistor R2 to the inverting input (with the non inverting input tied to ground through a resistor R3**), then a short pulse of voltage V and time t will put charge Q = Vt/R2 on the capacitor, so the output voltage is Q/C, and the decay time constant is R1C.

**1/R3 = 1/R1 + 1/R2

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6
    ah i think i see now. this amplifier is a small part of a mass flow controller. another amplifier in the schematic uses mechanical feedback to keep the valve open just enough to allow a certain amount of gas through that the user defines by setting a control voltage. this amplifier that we have been discussing is in the control voltage input network. i can see that if the user changed the control voltage to quickly, it could cause oscillations in the flow, rather than a steady desired flow value. i think that this capacitor is used to make sure that control voltage doesn't change too quickly. thank you all for helping me understand

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook