Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude of field with phasor components

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1
    Let's say I have a field (electric or magnetic or something) and it's time-varying so I choose to represent its components as phasors.

Say the field is:
    [tex]\vec{F} = X\hat{x} + Y\hat{y} + Z\hat{z}[/tex]

where, X, Y and Z are complex numbers.

Now, I want to find the amplitude of the field. If X, Y and Z were real (time constant field), I'd just go:

[tex]F = \sqrt{X^2 +Y^2 +Z^2}[/tex]

but I have no idea what to do here. Also, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do this or not. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It works just like phasor arithmetic for electronic circuits. The instantaneous amplitude will be

[tex]f = \sqrt{\Re (X)^2 + \Re (Y)^2 + \Re (Z)^2}[/tex]

The time-averaged amplitude is

[tex]F_{avg} = \sqrt{X_{rms}^2 + Y_{rms}^2 + Z_{rms}^2} = \sqrt{\frac{X^*X + Y^*Y + Z^*Z}{2}}[/tex]

where [itex]X^*[/itex] is the complex conjugate of X.

Lastly, the total amplitude of F is

[tex]|\vec F| = \sqrt{\vec F^* \cdot \vec F} = \sqrt{X^*X + Y^*Y + Z^*Z}[/tex]

This is the magnitude of a vector in six-dimensional space, which rotates around on a 5-sphere such that its projections along the six axes are equal to the real and imaginary components of each of X, Y, and Z.

(Alternatively, you can think of F as living in three-dimensional complex space, such that its projection on each of the three complex axes gives the three complex numbers X, Y, and Z).
  4. Aug 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot! Answers my question perfectly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?