An airtight box, having a lid of area 80 cm2, is partially evacuated.

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Box
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure in an airtight box based on the force required to pull the lid off. The equation used is F(internal pressure) = F(atmospheric pressure) - applied force, and the answer obtained is 41060 Pa. The options provided by the homework are 7.50 e4 Pa, 6.35 e4 Pa, 2.60 e4 Pa, 1.76 e5 Pa, and 1.38 e5 Pa. The conversation concludes with a request for other ideas or solutions to the problem.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

An airtight box, having a lid of area 80 cm2, is partially evacuated. Atmospheric pressure is 1.01 105 Pa. A force of 108 lb is required to pull the lid off the box. The pressure in the box was:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that the force that the pressure in the box exerted on the lid is equal to the force exerted on the lid by the atmosphere minus the applied force.

No matter how "creative" I get with the math, I can't come to any of their answers.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you are on the right track. Maybe units are causing you grief. Show what you are trying.

I've tried a boatload of things, most recently:

Box pressure = 1.01x10^5 - 479.52/.008

479.52 being 108lbs in Newtons.

I think you need to try, like you said, F(due to P internal) = F(due to P atm) - 479.52 N.

Once you find F(due to P internal), you can find the internal pressure.

Which would be:

0.008(B) = 0.008(1.01x10^5) - 479.52

This was one of my first processes. I just get the same answer of 41060.

Oh, right--which is what you were doing eariler... That still seems right. What did you get and what is the answer?

My answer is 41060.

The homework gives me the choices of:

7.50 e4 Pa
6.35 e4 Pa
2.60 e4 Pa
1.76 e5 Pa
1.38 e5 Pa

You got more or less what I got. I don't think your approach is wrong. Anyone else see something we are missing?

Anyone got any other ideas?

1. What is an airtight box?

An airtight box is a container that is designed to prevent air or other gases from entering or escaping. It is typically made of a material that is impermeable to air, such as metal or plastic.

2. What does it mean for a box to be partially evacuated?

Partially evacuated means that some of the air or gas inside the box has been removed, creating a partial vacuum. This is often done to reduce the amount of air or gas inside the box, or to create a specific environment for storing or preserving certain items.

3. How is the lid of the box relevant in this scenario?

The lid of the box is relevant because it is the covering that helps to create an airtight seal. In this scenario, the lid has an area of 80 cm2, which is important for determining the amount of air or gas that can be evacuated from the box.

4. What factors can affect the airtightness of the box?

The material and design of the box, the quality of the seal between the lid and the box, and the pressure inside and outside of the box can all affect the airtightness of the box. Even small gaps or imperfections in the seal can impact the ability of the box to maintain an airtight environment.

5. What are the potential uses for an airtight box with a partially evacuated lid?

An airtight box with a partially evacuated lid can be used for a variety of purposes, such as storing perishable food items, preserving delicate objects, creating a controlled environment for scientific experiments, or storing sensitive electronic equipment. It can also be used in industrial processes that require a specific gas or pressure environment.