Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: An electron traveling at a speed of

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron traveling at a speed of 6.0 x10^7 m/s. strikes the target of an x-ray tube. Upon impact, the electron decelerates to 1/4th of its original speed, emitting an x-ray in the process. What is the wavelength of the x-ray photon?

2. Relevant equations
    I think I'm suppose to use the formula E=hf (eqn 1) and v=lambda*f (eqn 2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I manipulated both equations (eqn 1 and eqn 2) to get the formula E=(h*v)/(lambda), but that leaves me with two unknowns..when all I want is lambda to be the only unknown. I'm not sure how I would find the energy...and I'm not sure if I'm even using the correct formulas. Hopefully I'm on the right track???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2010 #2
    What you want is the wavelength of the X-ray - an EM wave. What is its speed ?

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3
    we can find the wavelength of the emitted x-ray photon. using

first find the kinetic energy of the electron using K.E = 1/2 m*v^2.
    then apply the formula

lambda = (h*v)/K.E

it will give the answer for you.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That is incorrect. Even a dimensional analysis shows that there is something wrong with that equation.

And please do not do the original poster's (OP's) work for them -- they are required to do the work themselves. You may provide hints and ask questions, in order to help them figure out the problem on their own.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook