Relativistic momentum of two photons from a decay

In summary: So, in the lab frame, the photon with more energy would have a momentum that is (1/2) times the momentum of the photon with less energy. This would give the total momentum of the two photons in the lab frame to be (1/2)(γE) = (7.63*106) ms-1.
zehkari

Homework Statement

BiDZ2M9.jpg

Homework Equations

(1) E2 = p2c2 + m02c4

(2) E = γm0c2

(3) E = Eγ1 - Eγ2

(4) p = E / c

(5) E = hf

(6) λ = c / f

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using eqn (1), rearranged p = (E - m0c2) / c , I obtained 2.9 MeV c-1. Not sure if I have the right answer here as I converted the 1.000 GeV to 1*103 MeV and kept both the rest energy and total energy in mega electron volts.

b) Using eqn (2), rearranged γ = E / m0c2 , γ = 7.63. Then by approximation of the lorentz factor I obtained a difference in velocity to be 2.57*106 ms-1

c) Is where I am stuck. From the observers reference frame or the labs reference frame, the two photons would be in different directions. So by using eqn (3) some how find the two different energies?
And then I guess by using eqns (5) & (6) you can find the wavelength? Bit stuck on the mathematics here.

Thanks for any help and happy holidays :).

Attachments

• BiDZ2M9.jpg
    BiDZ2M9.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 639
Physics news on Phys.org
zehkari said:
c) Is where I am stuck. From the observers reference frame or the labs reference frame, the two photons would be in different directions. So by using eqn (3) some how find the two different energies?
And then I guess by using eqns (5) & (6) you can find the wavelength? Bit stuck on the mathematics here.
The energies of the photons have to be divided in a way that also conserves momentum. Think of the decay in the pi meson frame. Then in the lab frame.

AM

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

In the pi meson frame then distribution of momentum would be 1/2 for each photon. Does this imply the energy of one of the photons in the lab reference frame would be E' = γE ?

And then with de Broglie's wave-particle duality: λ = h / p , so, λ = hc/E for each wavelegth?

What would the total energy of the photons be in the rest frame of the pi meson? Then assume that the direction of one of the photons is in the direction of motion of the pi meson. Then translate the photon energies to the lab frame.

AM

You can determine the total momentum in the lab frame from the energy equation. Since energy is conserved ##h\nu_1 + h\nu_2 = E_{total}##. You also know that momentum is conserved so for photons traveling in the +- direction of the meson ##h\nu_1/c - h\nu_2/c = p##.

AM

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the classical concept of momentum. It describes the motion of an object in terms of its mass, velocity, and the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Unlike classical momentum, which is calculated as mass times velocity, relativistic momentum takes into account the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light. This means that the faster an object moves, the greater its relativistic momentum will be.

3. What is a decay of two photons?

A decay of two photons refers to a process in which a particle, such as an electron, emits two photons as it decays. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can be observed in certain subatomic particles.

4. How is the relativistic momentum of two photons from a decay calculated?

The relativistic momentum of two photons from a decay can be calculated using the equation p = hν/c, where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, ν is the frequency of the photons, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the photons' energy and the speed at which they are traveling.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the relativistic momentum of two photons from a decay?

Studying the relativistic momentum of two photons from a decay can help us better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental laws of physics. This knowledge has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, quantum mechanics, and astrophysics.