An Example of a 2-Dimensional Subspace of C[0,1]

  • Thread starter Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Example Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Give an example of show that no such example exists.

A two dimensional subspace of C[0,1]

Homework Equations



None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that C[0,1] is a set of continuous functions but I'm not sure where to go after that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sheldonrocks97 said:

Homework Statement



Give an example of show that no such example exists.

A two dimensional subspace of C[0,1]

Homework Equations



None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that C[0,1] is a set of continuous functions but I'm not sure where to go after that.

Define what 'two dimensional' means. That should be a clue.
 
Polynomials are continuous functions, aren't they? It should be easy to determine the dimension of a subspace of polynomial functions.