Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An example of a series that diverges and exhibits no pattern?

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    Hi I was hoping someone could provide me with a couple examples of series that exhibit no pattern. In my course we only cover divergence that involves the limit tending to infinity or oscillation. My textbook informs me that in some rare cases no pattern may be exhibited, but doesn't list any examples. I'm drawing a blank on brainstorming.

Thanks!

PS
    Also are there any specific characteristics or tests that would clue me into knowing that it exhibits no patterns.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about if you define ##a_n## to be the ##n##'th decimal digit of ##\pi##?

Then this series diverges:
    $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n$$
    because the terms do not converge to zero, and this series converges
    $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{a_n}{n^2}$$
    by comparison with ##\sum 10/n^2##.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    Gah I feel so stupid. I've seen that specific example before, but I never really thought about it that way. In our class we've always defined a(sub)n to be a particular function that we've seen before.

Thank you Jbunniii for the swift response!

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

How about:
    [tex] \sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{1}{p_n}[/tex]
    where p_n is the nth prime number? I think this also diverges.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    For education a Liouville number is the universal example of such a series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville_number

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook