An image is magnified by 2.50, concave mirror confusion wee

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the distance between a concave shaving mirror and a man's face in order to achieve a 2.50 times magnified image. The solution involves using simultaneous equations and the lens equation to find the object distance, which is determined to be 11.1cm.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone< i think I'm on the right track but now I'm stuck.
Here is the problem:
A concave shaving mirror has a radius of curvature of 37.0 cm. It is positioned so that the (upright) image of a man's face is 2.50 times the size of the face. How far is the mirror from the face?

Here is my work and drawing:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/6mwvik/lastscan.jpg [Broken]I'm conufsed on how I'm suppose to find the object distance if I'm not giving the image distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simultaneous equations. You have both of them. Two unkowns, di and do.

Chi Meson said:
Simultaneous equations. You have both of them. Two unkowns, di and do.
like he said
instead of using the hi-ho (:rofl:) relation find a relation between di and do.

sub into your lens equation and you're all set.

Awesome thanks a lot guys worked great!
11.1cm for object distance, o yes!

What does it mean for an image to be magnified by 2.50?

When an image is magnified by 2.50, it means that the size of the image is 2.50 times larger than the size of the object. This can also be referred to as a magnification factor of 2.50.

How does a concave mirror affect the image?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror that reflects light inwards, causing the image to appear larger than the original object. The shape of the mirror allows for the light rays to converge and form a real, inverted image.

What causes confusion when using a concave mirror?

One common cause of confusion when using a concave mirror is the inversion of the image. Since the image formed is real, it is inverted compared to the original object. This can be confusing for some individuals who may expect the image to be the same orientation as the object.

How can one determine the magnification of an image formed by a concave mirror?

The magnification of an image formed by a concave mirror can be determined by using the formula M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. A positive magnification indicates an upright image, while a negative magnification indicates an inverted image.

Is a magnified image always larger than the original object?

No, a magnified image is not always larger than the original object. It is possible for the magnified image to be smaller than the original object if the object is placed within the focal length of the concave mirror. In this case, the image will be virtual and upright, but smaller in size than the object.