How to solve for distance of object with a concave mirror?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
AngelLegs
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An object is placed a distance do in front of a concave mirror with a radius of curvature r = 6 cm. The image formed has a magnification of M = 4.3. Solve for the object's distance.

Homework Equations


M = -di/do
(1/do) + (1/di) = 2/R = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to rearrange the magnification equation and sub it into the spherical mirror equation in order to cancel out the di's, so I can solve for do using radius and magnification, except I'm still not even entirely sure how you would manage to make this work.
How would I rearrange these equations to solve for do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried solving for 1/di? I mean, find that in the first equation and plug it in the second. From there it should be easy.