An Impressive Rescue: Chilean Miners

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary: The coverage of the rescue is just ridicules. There is more than a 1000 journalists at the scene; there are NASA astronauts and experts, even the Chile and Bolivian presidents are there to greet the miners. The whole world is hooked and watching intently.
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of these guys were too big to fit into the recovery chamber, so they've been on a rigorous training program to lose weight. At least one miner has lost almost thirty pounds.

... the ultimate high-motivation weight-loss program.

Ivan Seeking said:
... the ultimate high-motivation weight-loss program.

Yeah... I think I'd rather do Slim-Fast. :yuck:

Can you imagine what it must smell like down there by now?

nismaratwork said:

From the link: :uhh:
Before anyone can be rescued, the hole must be widened so that the rescue capsule -- dubbed the Phoenix -- can land cleanly inside the tunnel without getting hung up on obstructions, Golborne said. To accomplish that, explosives will be lowered to the miners for use in widening the shaft, said Golborne, who expressed little concern that the subterranean pyrotechnics would pose any danger to the men.

berkeman said:
From the link: :uhh:

I've never been happier that I don't mine.

nismaratwork said:
I've never been happier that I don't mine.

Yeah, maybe Mr. Golborne should volunteer to descend with the explosives, and set the charges himself...

Copiapo, Chile (CNN) -- A rescue drill has pierced the roof of an underground mine in Chile where 33 men have been trapped since August 5.

Chile's mining minister had said Friday afternoon that they hoped to reach the miners within a day.

"Hopefully before that," Mining Minister Laurence Golborne told reporters about the time when a rescue drill is expected to pierce the roof of the mine. At the time he spoke, it was 40 meters (about 130 feet) away. "Maybe tomorrow morning, early Saturday. We have to wait and see."
. . . .
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/09/chile.trapped.miners/index.html

Hopefully all goes well today, and the miners will be back with their families this evening!

berkeman said:
Yeah, maybe Mr. Golborne should volunteer to descend with the explosives, and set the charges himself...

I guess those under the ground are much better trained in using explosives than he is.

Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next? I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table. I hope it all works out for them.

Looks like we're going to see them coming to the surface tonight here. The first miner is getting into the capsule now.

Wow, they showed a little kid, likely the first miner's son...oh the look on his face was so moving. Pure hope and joy.

The first miner has reached the surface! I timed the ascent of the rescue capsule, it took about 15:45.

Fantastic to watch, that made my day :approve:!

Yay! 32 to go.

waht said:
Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next?

Spaghetti dinner?

I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table.

If U.S. miners are indication, nearly all of them will.

Apparently there was some competition to see who got to go last! At first it seemed a noble gesture, but slowly it leaked out that this may be more a matter of strategy: The last person out will go down as the person who spent the most time trapped in a mine. The bosses up top decided it would be the crew foreman.

waht said:
Once the miners are rescued and reunited with their families what are going to do next? I doubt many of them will want to come back to mining. They still have to put food on the table. I hope it all works out for them.

They're going to Disneyland!

Actually, that will come after the multi-million dollar movie deal. Once they get out, they are likely set for life.

Ivan Seeking said:
They're going to Disneyland!

Actually, that will come after the multi-million dollar movie deal. Once they get out, they are likely set for life.

Yeah, no kidding. The coverage of the rescue is just ridicules. There is more than a 1000 journalists at the scene; there are NASA astronauts and experts, even the Chile and Bolivian presidents are there to greet the miners. The whole world is hooked and watching intently.

It's fair to say now they're going to get into all sorts of book, magazine, and movie deals, and travel all of the world to give talks.

I agree coverage is ridiculous, still - it is impressive.

This coverage is insane... very good rescue, but I'm surprised. I wonder if the networks would interrupt the live feeds for a nuclear war or the like. :tongue:

Well it seems that the coverage is decreasing exponentially.

dlgoff said:
Well it seems that the coverage is decreasing exponentially.

I feel kinda bad for the guy who's, like, 27th. He'll come out, blinking in the sun. There'll be a few guys in orange jump suits operating the capsule, they immediately turn their attention to send it back down...the odd lama wanders by...

Space underwear, anyone?

http://www.space.com/news/japanese-space-underwear-trapped-chilean-miners-101013.html

In an effort to lend a hand to rescue teams on the ground, Japan's space agency sent some "space underwear," candies and other Japanese sweets to the 33 trapped miners in Chile, according to news reports.

In late September, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency sent five sets of space underwear for each miner, as well as mint candies and other treats, according to the Associated Press.

I had been thinking of few things:

- Can the cost of saving those miners be justified
- I believe relatives were literally living on the site which is also bit interesting
- Politicians took really good advantage of this accident
- Media also brought great focus to this event; making it something similar to World Cup

Chi Chi Chi,
le le le!

Yay, they're all out!

Last edited:
Are you really going to put a price on these peoples lives? I'd like to see you say that if your father was down there. Have a bit of heart.
But no, I'm sure that an economic analysis would show it unjustifiable to save them.

- I believe relatives were literally living on the site which is also bit interesting
A bit overkill, but they obviously care (that or they've been getting loads of free stuff by staying there).

Nothing new there, got to try and make themselves look good somehow.

- Media also brought great focus to this event; making it something similar to World Cup
I found this to be far more interesting (I can't stand football).

And before anyone says anything, they're all out so I don't feel bad about making smart a** remarks.

jarednjames said:
Are you really going to put a price on these peoples lives? I'd like to see you say that if your father was down there. Have a bit of heart.
But no, I'm sure that an economic analysis would show it unjustifiable to save them.

A bit overkill, but they obviously care (that or they've been getting loads of free stuff by staying there).

And before anyone says anything, they're all out so I don't feel bad about making smart a** remarks.

I'm happy they're out, too.

I think there's a tendency for some people to shoot down good news, take a cynical view. But sometimes it's ok to simply enjoy good news. I think this is a great story, I'm happy for the miners and their families.

rootX said:

What is the cost, and who is paying for it? We need facts before we can even start a discussion like that

lisab said:
I'm happy they're out, too.

I think there's a tendency for some people to shoot down good news, take a cynical view. But sometimes it's ok to simply enjoy good news. I think this is a great story, I'm happy for the miners and their families.

I enjoyed this news coverage also, and am very happy that the miners are out and well. But I'm still baffled by the mechanism that catapulted this accident to front pages of every news outlet in the world. I'm sure there are industrial accidents going on all the time; people die all the time, and we barely hear about that.

waht said:
I enjoyed this news coverage also, and am very happy that the miners are out and well. But I'm still baffled by the mechanism that catapulted this accident to front pages of every news outlet in the world. I'm sure there are industrial accidents going on all the time; people die all the time, and we barely hear about that.

Hmm...I don't think I heard about it until they were discovered alive, all of them, 17 days later. Until then, I think it was just a tragic local story.

What beautiful faces these people had and looks of love. We were watching it is spanish and don't speak it too much so the words did not spoil watching the joy. Just waiting for the last rescue people to get out.

waht said:

If people die all the time it's a news story when they don't. This is like the most challenging rescue situation in the history of mankind, how could it not be news?

jarednjames said:

It was indeed a good story but they did not require the treatment they received. I followed this story in the beginning before this turned into big drama or hype: all the psychologists talking to the miners .. etc.

IIRC from the last month, the company went bankrupt and families were well compensated.